Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Configuring Startup (Xubuntu 12.04)

Beans

Lightbulb Configuring Startup (Xubuntu 12.04)

As an absolute beginner, I have had many successes with my migration to Linux (Xubuntu 12.04) after years of Mac and Windows familiarity. There are, however, items which are giving me difficulty with configuration of the startup process/procedures of my system. I guess I'll take them in order, of sorts.

1) Is there a way to configure auto-login for a specific user? I know I don't have to enter my pw for every login, but how might I bypass the login screen entirely, unless I choose "Log Out" [to change user] instead of "Shut Down"?

2) I have two external drives, but they don't auto-mount at startup. This, despite having the options selected in Removable Drives and Media to "Mount removable drives when hot-plugged" as well as to "Mount removable media when inserted".

3) I have attempted adding Mozilla Thunderbird to the Application Autostart tab of Session and Startup, with addition of the command "thunderbird start", but I have an inkling that I am simply missing something from this command to make it work. Dropbox uses "dropbox start -i"; is this what should be entered for Thunderbird, or something else? I have considered attempting this... but I don't want to break anything. I'd rather learn the proper information rather than *just* going with trial-and-error.

4) Wine... is there a thread or preferred-tutorial for configuring Wine? I have no problems running simple, seemingly single-file applications (eg: Notepad), but installation of apps which require further configuration fail seemingly ever time. Photoscape, is one notable example. [I know Notepad is un-necessary and I commonly use Leafpad, I was just noting that some work and some do not.]

If there are existing thread covering or relating to these topic, I apologize for these inquiries and would request direction to them.

Thanks to all, in advance, who take the time to read this post.
    --M

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Configuring Startup (Xubuntu 12.04)

I don't have answers to all your questions, but can help with a few.

Autologin is easy; open a terminal and type the command "gksudo thunar" which will ask for your password. Type it in; you won't see any indication that it's being accepted, but when you finish and hit Enter, a copy of the file manager should show up together with a warning that you are in dangerous territory. Navigate to the /etc/lightdm directory and open it. You should see several files, including "lightdm.conf" among them. Double-click that one to open it for editing, and add a line "autologin-user=manikinxvx" (if manikinxvx is the name of the user you want to log in automatically). Then save the file, and that user will automatically log in at the next reboot. Close Thunar as soon as you are done, since it's in a risky condition.

As for automatically mounting the external drives, be absolutely sure you want to set it up because if you do, and then unplug either of them, you'll get error messages at boot time. The way to set it up is to add them to the /etc/fstab file; I can't give you detailed instructions until you describe the drives in a bit more detail. Specifically, are they formatted for Windows or for OSX, and do you want to be able to write to them? If for Windows, is it FAT, FAT32, or NTFS? Also do you want them to be accessible to all users, or only to one? All of this can be configured in the fstab file, and some of it is absolutely necessary.

EDIT: Those options for automounting that you've checked are triggered when you connect the drives after the system is up and running, only. Thus they have no effect at boot time. You could pull the plug on each, then put it back in, and they should then mount automatically. For mounting at boot time, the /etc/fstab file entries are needed.

I've not tried to autostart Thunderbird, but there's no guarantee at all that the method dropbox uses will work with any other application -- and usually, such application-specific modifiers don't work with much of anything else. There may be something in the Tbird help files on line to show their recommended way to do it, if it has one at all. If it does not, you could put together a simple shell script (think Windows batch file, but shell scripts are much more powerful) to launch it, and then add the script to the Autostart list via Applications->Settings->Settings Manager->Session and Startup->Application Autostart.

And I can't help at all with WINE.

Hope this helps a bit!
    Last edited by JKyleOKC; August 29th, 2013 at 04:22 PM. Reason: Additional information.
    --
    Jim Kyle in Oklahoma, USA
    Linux Counter #259718
    Howto mark thread: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UnansweredPo.../SolvedThreads

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Thunderbird will start without appending anything

Applications->Settings->Settings Manager->Session and Startup->Application Autostart

click add - fill in the boxes - command for thunderbird is thunderbird

Beans

JKyleOKC,
    lightdm.conf already did contain the line "autologin-user=..." Oh well, that's not that big of a deal if I just have to click "Login" one time. Maybe I'm just being too finicky.

The external drives are: /dev/sdb (FAT) and /dev/sdc (FAT)

Elfy,
    Thanks for that tip with just having "thunderbird" for the command. That worked perfectly.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

With respect to wine, have a look at this wiki entry. You also might want to have a look at PlayOnLinux as it is a nice graphical front-end to wine that you might find useful. Unfortunately, I don't believe its in the official Ubuntu repositories for 12.04, but installation instructions are available on their website.

Beans
    Distro

I forgot to ask one more essential question: What directories are in your /media directory? you can use the command "ls -l /media >mmm.txt" from a terminal to get the list copied into a text file in your home directory named "mmm.txt" and then copy and paste the content of that file into a reply here. After you paste it into the reply, before sending it, highlight the whole content of the file and click on the "quote" icon of the toolbar. If you're using the "quick reply" capability it will be the one at the far right of the toolbar. If not, it will be the one that looks like a comic strip's "speech balloon." We need to know what's there, and if it's empty I'll include instructions for creating mount points for both drives; tell me what you want them named, or I can just call them "sdb" and "sdc" if you like...
    --
    Linux Counter #259718

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Smile Re: Configuring Startup (Xubuntu 12.04)

Quote Originally Posted by manikinxvx View Post
    As an absolute beginner, I have had many successes with my migration to Linux (Xubuntu 12.04) after years of Mac and Windows familiarity. There are, however, items which are giving me difficulty with configuration of the startup process/procedures of my system. I guess I'll take them in order, of sorts.

1) Is there a way to configure auto-login for a specific user? I know I don't have to enter my pw for every login, but how might I bypass the login screen entirely, unless I choose "Log Out" [to change user] instead of "Shut Down"?

2) I have two external drives, but they don't auto-mount at startup. This, despite having the options selected in Removable Drives and Media to "Mount removable drives when hot-plugged" as well as to "Mount removable media when inserted".

3) I have attempted adding Mozilla Thunderbird to the Application Autostart tab of Session and Startup, with addition of the command "thunderbird start", but I have an inkling that I am simply missing something from this command to make it work. Dropbox uses "dropbox start -i"; is this what should be entered for Thunderbird, or something else? I have considered attempting this... but I don't want to break anything. I'd rather learn the proper information rather than *just* going with trial-and-error.

4) Wine... is there a thread or preferred-tutorial for configuring Wine? I have no problems running simple, seemingly single-file applications (eg: Notepad), but installation of apps which require further configuration fail seemingly ever time. Photoscape, is one notable example. [I know Notepad is un-necessary and I commonly use Leafpad, I was just noting that some work and some do not.]

If there are existing thread covering or relating to these topic, I apologize for these inquiries and would request direction to them.

Thanks to all, in advance, who take the time to read this post.
    --M
    I'm not too familiar with Xubuntu. However, If you can go to user accounts, The section that says "Login Automatically", set it to ON.

As for auto-mount, the options you checked just reflect:

"Mount all external hard-drives and USB's when plugged in AFTER Xubuntu starts (this was generally when the side of the computer would heat-up, thus having the name hot-plugging)"

To do that, add a line to fstab. Note that if they are not connected at start-up, you may get error messages (it happened to me once).

For wine, post them here.
    -Jonathan

Beans

JKyleOKC,
    I will perform the "ls -l /media >mmm.txt" later today and reply with the resulting output.

Jonathan Precise,
    If only going into "Accounts" were as simple in Xubuntu as with other operating systems: http://www.urbanpeasant.net/photodump/Screenshot.png I *did* go into Sessions and Startup and reviewed that tab; no luck: http://www.urbanpeasant.net/photodump/ScreenshotII.png

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by manikinxvx View Post
    If only going into "Accounts" were as simple in Xubuntu as with other operating systems: http://www.urbanpeasant.net/photodump/Screenshot.png I *did* go into Sessions and Startup and reviewed that tab; no luck: http://www.urbanpeasant.net/photodump/ScreenshotII.png
    You got halfway there, just stopped too soon. On the "Sessions and Startup" page, click the tab at the top labelled "Application Autostart" and you'll get a new dialog that lists all the applications currently set up for autostarting. Right-click anywhere in that list and a pop-up menu will appear, with an "Add" entry. Click that entry and you'll get the add dialog...

I agree that it could be made a bit simpler, but since the *buntu systems are far more customizable than most others, it'll never be as simple as systems that don't offer so many choices.
    --
    Linux Counter #259718

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Post Re: Configuring Startup (Xubuntu 12.04)

Quote Originally Posted by JKyleOKC View Post
    You got halfway there, just stopped too soon. On the "Sessions and Startup" page, click the tab at the top labelled "Application Autostart" and you'll get a new dialog that lists all the applications currently set up for autostarting. Right-click anywhere in that list and a pop-up menu will appear, with an "Add" entry. Click that entry and you'll get the add dialog...

I agree that it could be made a bit simpler, but since the *buntu systems are far more customizable than most others, it'll never be as simple as systems that don't offer so many choices.
    I was referring to the auto-login.
    -Jonathan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast