Thread: Is Virtualbox stable?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Is Virtualbox stable?

I am thinking about upgrading my raring kernel to 3.11rc5 when it comes out (my guess is that is tomorrow) as well as my nvidia driver (via nvidia's run file)
    this will break the stock virtualbox so i wanted to know if the virtualbox in saucy is stable

Edit:
    i was not able to get the nvida driver to compile on linux 3.11rc5 from nvidia under raring
    Last edited by pqwoerituytrueiwoq; August 15th, 2013 at 01:06 AM.
    Laptop: ASUS A54C-NB91 (Storage: WD3200BEKT + MKNSSDCR60GB-DX); Desktop: Custom Build - Images included; rPi Server
    Putting your Networked Printer's scanner software to shame PHP Scanner Server
    I frequently edit my post when I have the last post

Beans

Re: Is Virtualbox stable?

This is a test version... Nothing is stable. Anything can change at any moment.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

It is for me and my Intel-based video... very stable and fast!
    Regards, frank, at http://yantrayoga.typepad.com/noname/
    Homebuilt Lian-Li PC-Q33WB, Intel i7-4790K 4.6GHz, SSDs,16G RAM | Dell Laptop 11.6" N3050.
    Oracle VBox w/ WinXP/Win8 running Xara Designer, PaintShopPro, and InDesign CS.

Beans

I managed to install the latest Windows 8.1-build in Virtualbox under Saucy(3.11-RC5, Gnome-shell, Nvidia), works fine with guest additions and 2D/3D-accelleration ticked. Seems pretty stable to me ...

Beans
    Distro

Can anyone verify if the seamless mode issues are still present in 13.10?
    This is the issues I'm referring to - http://askubuntu.com/questions/31650...f-in-ubuntu-13

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Still an issue for me Aenima99x. Only on Unity. If I run the VM under Gnome or Xfce I don't have the problem. I'm also having the same problem in Saucy. Apart from that, VB (Win 7 Pro guest) is very stable for me in Raring and Saucy.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Aenima99x View Post
    Can anyone verify if the seamless mode issues are still present in 13.10?
    This is the issues I'm referring to - http://askubuntu.com/questions/31650...f-in-ubuntu-13
    Not sure if this thread is dead or not, but I have now upgraded to 13.10 and today noticed there was a virtualbox update. Consequently, the Win 7 VM no longer has the bottom panel clipped.

Beans
    Distro

I installed Virtual Box on a system about a week ago. When I upgraded 2 days ago I had all kind of vb kernel message errors (I hadn't even run vb yet) !! Then yesterday that install crashed completely (mind you I was doing some serious overclocking on that system).. but only vb was reporting errors.
    This is Convergence
    Ubuntu Development Version Testing Blog Remarks
    Running 16.04 on Mobo: MSI model: B85-G41 PC Mate(MS-7850) v: 1.0

Beans

Works fine here on client Saucy with 32-bit 3.11.0-4-generic kernel. Guest Additions installed as well, with invalid complaints about lack of kernel headers. Make sure you have dkms installed if this is the first time you're doing anything with drivers.