Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Server question

Beans

Server question

Hello,

I have a home server that is running Ubuntu Server 12.04. I am currently using Samba as my share program. I was wondering, is there a better share program? One that can connect to multiple remote client OS's (I would like to connect it to: Linux Ubuntu/Mint laptops, Windows laptops, Android phone and tablet, and PS3)?

Thanks,
    Ben

Beans

Re: Server question

It depends what you mean by "better". Easy to administer? Low overhead?

It also depends on what kinds of services your server offers. Printing? File storage? Shared applications? Backups?

Beans

From what I understand, Samba allows multiple platforms to connect to it. I'm not sure about PS3, though.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Have you tried Nas4Free? Easy to install and is dedicated to serving multiple clients. Low overhead and has a great Web GUI to configure samba share (not just samba share, nfs, etc.).
    But you'll need a spare thumb drive to install it.
    http://www.nas4free.org/
    Seems like the main website is down.
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/nas4free/
    "I learned a lot from repeatedly breaking my system and then reinstalling. Oh, and a lot of GOOGLE searches too!"
    The best Ubuntu derivative: Linux Mint
    Relax. Head to the Community Cafe
    The Philippine Team

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Hi Ben15 and welcome to the forums. Just a heads up. You will have much better luck getting assistance by using descriptive thread titles in future. Generic titles like 'Server question' or 'need help' or 'video problem' tell us nothing. Be specific. Your thread is in the server sub-forum so we would be expecting a server question.

Cheers and good luck.

PS: If you want to change thread title and can't, PM me a couple of suggstions and will do it for you.

(* Suggestion: 'How do I share programs with multiple remote clients using Samba?' ... or something like that. You might also like to check out the last link in my signature. )
    Last edited by Bucky Ball; August 28th, 2013 at 03:01 AM.

Beans

I appreciate the answers, and apologize for being so vague. What I meant by "better" is one that will communicate across the various platforms I listed. Samba lets my laptop see the server, but not any of my other devices.

The server was just my desktop converted into a storage/media/print server. I was basically trying to build a home cloud. I basically got tired of troubleshooting every time something went wrong, and digging through the configuration files for script errors. It was requiring more time than I had, so I just installed a desktop version of Ubuntu. I'll get back to it eventually, but right now I just don't have time. The final issue (the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back... odd that it happened on a Wednesday) was CUPS. It was working fine, I could print to both printers from all of the computers connected. All of the sudden, it just quit working, neither of the printers would accept jobs. So, I have a desktop again.

As I said, I appreciate the help.
    Ben

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by ben15 View Post
    I appreciate the answers, and apologize for being so vague. What I meant by "better" is one that will communicate across the various platforms I listed. Samba lets my laptop see the server, but not any of my other devices.

The server was just my desktop converted into a storage/media/print server. I was basically trying to build a home cloud. I basically got tired of troubleshooting every time something went wrong, and digging through the configuration files for script errors. It was requiring more time than I had, so I just installed a desktop version of Ubuntu. I'll get back to it eventually, but right now I just don't have time. The final issue (the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back... odd that it happened on a Wednesday) was CUPS. It was working fine, I could print to both printers from all of the computers connected. All of the sudden, it just quit working, neither of the printers would accept jobs. So, I have a desktop again.

As I said, I appreciate the help.
    Ben
    It might help if you consider what a "server" really is. By that I mean the process running in the background waiting for the clients request for service. These servers are created for each protocol (i.e. SMB, HTTP, NFS, DHCP, DNS, etc.). There can be many servers running on your OS. It doesn't matter whether the distro is Ubuntu Server Edition or Ubuntu Desktop Edition. The kernel is the same. Only the installed packages and configuration is different.

In short, "The Server" is really a bunch of server processes running on one host. This is a good thing. The protocols sometimes are "mutually exclusive". it's one or the other in those programs. If my Samba Server crashes I don't want it taking down the whole system.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by ben15 View Post
    One that can connect to multiple remote client OS's (I would like to connect it to: Linux Ubuntu/Mint laptops, Windows laptops, Android phone and tablet, and PS3)?
    You can connect all of those with Samba, except the PS3. Connecting to a Samba server from Android runs up against security limitations, in that you cannot mount the share into the filesystem except on a rooted device. However you can copy files back and forth to your phone with an Android SMB client like AndSMB.

The PS/3 prefers to use the "DLNA" protocol. It also supports only a narrow range of video formats. One solution is to run ps3mediaserver on your machine as well as Samba.

On Kubuntu you can use smb:// URLs in the file manager, Dolphin. I believe GNOME programs like Nautilus provide the same option. On my Kubuntu machines, opening smb://server/share prompts for a username and password then logs me into Samba. You can also mount Samba shares when the network starts up using an entry in /etc/fstab.
    If you ask for help, please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
    The PS/3 prefers to use the "DLNA" protocol. It also supports only a narrow range of video formats. One solution is to run ps3mediaserver on your machine as well as Samba.
    +1. I have heard miniDLNA works well too.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast