Thread: Mplayer/gmplayer aspect ratio

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Mplayer/gmplayer aspect ratio

I've used mplayer for such a long time. In the newer versions of gmplayer one thing really bugs me. When I change the size of the window by dragging the corner the aspect ratio gets borked. I would like gmplayer or mplayer not to change the aspect ratio.

I know I can use vlc or smplayer instead but in vlc I miss being able to use the arrows
    and page up/down to fast forward/"rewind" and I find smplayer very ugly... No pun intended.

Anyone knows how to do that?
    Registered user267386
    Answear a post if you got time or if you just want to avoid doing something else...
    Underestimated help just as this little friend.
    Don't forget to close the threads once answered.

Beans

Re: Mplayer/gmplayer aspect ratio

While I use smplayer don't see any issue with gnome-mplayer when resizing window after video starts
    You should get letterboxing or pillarboxing (unless you resize to actual aspect.
    Do you not get the *boxing or you do but aspect is still incorrect?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by mc4man View Post
    While I use smplayer don't see any issue with gnome-mplayer when resizing window after video starts
    You should get letterboxing or pillarboxing (unless you resize to actual aspect.
    Do you not get the *boxing or you do but aspect is still incorrect?
    I haven't used gnome-mplayer as I like gmplayer better. gnome-mplayer is gnome's gui for mplayer, where gmplayer is a minimalistic gui. In my opinion, gnome-mplayer looks better than smplayer so I will use that but I would like to be able to use gmplayer again. As it is now, when I resize the window, e.g. when playing a HD movie, in order to fit next to a browser, the aspect is off so I get thin or fat people... The only preset sizes are 2x, 1,x and 0.5x. I would like to be able to fit gmplayer between the edge and the browser.

Even better would be to be able to do this in mplayer directly, as I almost always start videos from terminal.
    Registered user267386
    Answear a post if you got time or if you just want to avoid doing something else...

Beans
    Distro

I tried the gnome-mplayer and sure it does keep the aspect ratio. What it also does is that every time I hit space to pause the video, it adds displays subtitles even though I previously disabled them by pressing [v]... Anyone else get this in gnome-mplayer?

Any ideas on getting the aspect ratio thing in order on mplayer/gmplayer? Anyone?
    Registered user267386

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by 1/0 View Post
    Any ideas on getting the aspect ratio thing in order on mplayer/gmplayer? Anyone?
    Resizing with correct aspect ratio works well with the current svn MPlayer / GMPlayer using the xv video output...
    You think that's air you're breathing now?