Thread: Hardware recommendations for ultra barebones?

Beans

Hardware recommendations for ultra barebones?

OK so call me crazy but I have this idea to do a custom build of a barebones machine that would basically be a kind of modular laptop. No HDD, live boot from a USB stick... basically just a keyboard, mouse and a monitor (USB? HDMI?) connected by wires to a minimal mobo and laptop-style PSU.

A regular laptop won't work for me because 1. I hate those tiny keyboards and 2. I don't want the keyboard and screen to be connected by a hinge; I want the keyboard down where my hands are and the screen up where my eyes are.

I'm a writer, and the impetus behind this is I just want to work in a distraction-free environment. I'll be using this machine for text processing(!) only. Unfortunately, my favorite screenwriting software is windows based, so I also need to use Wine, but that seems to be testing out OK -- I've been playing around on my windows machines and booting with live Ubuntu 12.04 i386 from a USB, and that seems to give me everything I need.

So for starters, can anyone suggest what might work for me as a mobo? I've been wondering about the Raspberry Pi but there seems to be a bit of an ARM incompatibility issue(?). Any and all suggestions welcome!

Thanks!

(Perhaps I should add: I'm not exactly a geek and I'm new to Ubuntu. But I used to work with Xenix and I've built maybe half a dozen windows desktops over the years. I'm fairly comfortable with breadboarding and kludging things together -- but in the end here, I want a minimal, functional machine that's going to work and be reliable!)
    Last edited by PaulBuntu; August 27th, 2013 at 10:25 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Hardware recommendations for ultra barebones?

The Raspberry Pi will not run Wine (as it says in their FAQ). Would have been my first suggestion otherwise.

Beans

Thanks Josgeluk, so I guess it won't be a Raspberry Pi then.

Anyone have any other ideas??

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Why not get a wireless or usb fullsize keyboard for the laptop

Beans

Sure, VMC, but where's the fun in that!? It's a long way from the open, barebones esthetic that I'm looking for...

Besides, if I went with an off-the-shelf laptop and remote keyboard, I'd just run windows.