Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Galago UltraPro microphone not working

Beans

Galago UltraPro microphone not working

I received this computer today and the internal microphone hasn't worked so far.

I have tried Google hangouts, Skype, Audacity, and just running
    Code:
    arecord test.wav
    to record audio. All I hear from the microphone is silence with an occasional crackle.

When I plug in a USB headset with microphone and select the external microphone in the Sound Input tab I can record sound just fine.

I currently suspect this is a hardware problem. Is there anything else I should do to further test this hypothesis?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Galago UltraPro microphone not working

There appears to be an Alsa bug in the current Galago and Gazelle that prevents the microphone from working until you plug something into the external microphone jack. It can be a pair of headphones; just any kind of 3.5 mm headphone plug. Try plugging one in, then unplugging it, and see if that fixes it.

If it does, I can get you set up so that it does this automatically when you log in.
    Ian Santopietro - System76 Technical Support.
    Open a Support Ticket!
    Ask a Sales Question!

Beans

I tried plugging a microphone into the microphone jack and then unplugging it.

Plugging in a microphone allows the microphone to work (when speaking directly into it, my voice is recorded).

Unplugging the microphone does not result in the internal microphone working.

This still looks like a hardware issue to me.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

It does indeed. Go ahead and open a support ticket on our website: https://www.system76.com/my-account

We'll be able to bring your system in and have the microphone replaced.
    Open a Support Ticket!
    Ask a Sales Question!

Beans

I am experiencing the same issue with my galago...It doesn't record at all, if anything just a crackling sound. Any way to resolve it?
    Last edited by jkossis; August 28th, 2013 at 09:10 PM.

Beans

Per the suggestion of System76 support, I tried the microphone on a live CD (xubuntu live CD on a flash drive) and confirmed that the microphone works.

So this appears to be a software/driver issue. I don't know whether this is due to System76-installed drivers or whether this is a generic Ubuntu/Linux problem.

Beans

It works in xubuntu, but not Ubuntu? Whether it's the System76 driver or Ubuntu, you would think that if you bought a computer from a vendor that specializes in Ubuntu that the hardware would work out of the box...
    Last edited by keith5; August 30th, 2013 at 08:36 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

We're aware of this issue, and we believe it's a bug introduced in an update to Ubuntu. Any users experiencing this issue should open support tickets on our website, and we'll notify you as soon as we have a solution available.
    Open a Support Ticket!
    Ask a Sales Question!

Beans

Yes, this is definitely a software issue. I'm dual booting with Windows and the mic works fine when I'm running Windows.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by isantop View Post
    There appears to be an Alsa bug in the current Galago and Gazelle that prevents the microphone from working until you plug something into the external microphone jack. It can be a pair of headphones; just any kind of 3.5 mm headphone plug. Try plugging one in, then unplugging it, and see if that fixes it.

If it does, I can get you set up so that it does this automatically when you log in.
    This fixed it for me- at least for the time being. Can you help me set it up so it does it automatically when I log in?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast