Thread: Your installer destroyed my hard drive

Beans

Unhappy Your installer destroyed my hard drive

I'm not looking for any support but I thought I'd post to let you know about unexpected behavior from your 13.04 installer.

I recently installed 12.10 on my Asus Revo L. I partitioned 30 gigs to dedicate to Ubuntu. After mucking around I wanted to go ahead and install 13.04.

However the 13.04 installer wouldn't boot up, and after a while i found out i had to go into grub boot config file and set "nomodeset". Finally I was able to get into the installer.

The installer gave me some options: "Upgrade from 12.10 to 13.04" or "Erase 12.10 and install 13.04". I chose the latter. The installer then went on to repartition the entire hard drive, format it to Ubuntu, and install 13.04 in it. I lost my windows install, for which there is no backup (the system does not come with a restore disc or flash drive) and all my content. Over what? That never should have happened guys

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Your installer destroyed my hard drive

I think "destroyed the hard drive" is not the best way to describe it. It would appear that the drive has been over-written, not destroyed.
    The installer shouldn't have done that unless you gave it the go-ahead to do it. It's strange that it happened.
    In all honesty, partitioning of any kind carries a risk and it's always best to have a way to get back to what you had before you began partitioning. In fact some would say that it is imperative.

It is possible that your partitions could be re-created and some or all of the data recovered by using Testdisk, though there are no guarantees.
    If you want to go down that route you should stop using the new installation immediately as further use may further over-write data.
    MacBook Pro 10,1 retina

Beans

At the end of the day, this machine is inconsequential to me so it's no big deal - but the reason i made the thread was to inform you of what happens under that circumstance. As I was installing i couldn't have even fathomed that would happen.

Beans

You should report this as a bug:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ReportingBugs

Beans

Well, your disk was certainly not destroyed, just overwritten, there is quite a big difference there. Having backups is essential when messing around with partitioning and installation of new operating systems.

Still, you said you where using the 13.04 installer, which I used yesterday as well to install Ubuntu alongside Win7, with no problem at all. I wonder however if you used the automatic partitioning option during the install, or did you use manual partitioning? Using the automatic partitioning will definitely overwrite data, since that is what it is designed to do, but if you did a manual partitioning and took great care to only use the correct harddrive space, and it still didn't work, then it is definitely a serious bug which need to be reported to, and addressed by, the developers.
    Help me help you, by reading these suggestions before asking for help!
    This will earn you 1 point of respect and a cookie if you also show good manners.
    I'm currently running Kubuntu 13.04 on my laptop and Debian 7 on my desktop pc.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I believe one other user posted where he went into one of the install options, but then backed out, without rebooting and it reverted to a default where it overwrote everything.
    Did you start install and then back out and start over? If so definitely file a bug report.

Forum is just users helping users and developers only look at bug reports.
    For more info on UEFI boot install & repair - Regularly Updated :
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Moved to Ubuntu, Linux & OS Chat.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

That's a real shame, and I hope you file a bug report if indeed it is an Ubuntu error, but-

Quote Originally Posted by Josh_Chudnovsky View Post
    for which there is no backup
    That's asking for it. Always back up before doing any kind of partitioning.

Beans

the Hirens boot cd also has several recovery tools that i have found useful.
    The only dumb question is the one not asked.

In service to the Dream

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by developerzero View Post
    You should report this as a bug:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ReportingBugs

This is important, the forum is for discussing bugs, you want to report a bug to get it fixed so that other people don't have the problem you had.
    // Blog