Thread: Ubuntu 13.04 Kernel Panic

Beans

Ubuntu 13.04 Kernel Panic

I am very new to ubuntu. I installed it successfully from a disk on one laptop with no problems. the second laptop gave me some issues. after installing the first time all i would get was a black screen with gnu grub and screen was frozen. I reinstalled ubuntu and got a little farther. I get the purple screen with options on what to boot but after selecting ubuntu, now i get a kernel panic not syncing: ufs unable to mount root fs on unknown block. The screen freezes at this point and i cannot procede. I was thinking about reinstalling ubuntu but wanted to know if there is anything i could try before that. any help would be appreciated.

Beans

Re: Ubuntu 13.04 Kernel Panic

Did you google "kernel panic not syncing: vfs unable to mount root fs on unknown block."?

Did you run memtest86 from the (CD) boot menu?

Beans

I did search for the error message but did not get much information. This is the only problem i have ever had with ubuntu other than programs not working so it may be beginners error. I have not tried running memtest86. I guess that would be a good place to start?

Beans

If you can get to the purple options screen, go to "Advanced options for Ubuntu", then choose one of the options that is not the top two, eg "Ubuntu, with Linux 3.8.0-27-generic." For some reason the latest kernal is not working for me.