Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu Logo Suggestion: Medicine Mask

Beans
    Distro
    Dapper Drake

Lightbulb Ubuntu Logo/Mascot Suggestion: Medicine Mask + Background

Hey everyone!! I have this idea...tell me what you think!!

I think the current ubuntu logo doesnt have enough character and is therefore not memorable enough...its nothing compared to a big X, or a colourful flag, which is why I'd like to suggest a new logo that has something todo with the name, the african name. The first time I heard "Ubuntu" I immediately thought how great it was that there was a supermodern technology (ie. linux distro) called something really primitive&old (ie. old african word), an interesting contradiction. How about if the logo reflected the actual name with an african medicine man's mask?? Something everyone associates with tribal africa, but in contrary to past suggestions is not discriminating in any way. It would make this distro much more memorable and interesting through this contradiction!

heres a thumnail...scales well, dunnit??? the original is of course svg, done in inkscape...
    Last edited by archibald; May 12th, 2005 at 10:34 PM.

Beans

Re: Ubuntu Logo Suggestion: Medicine Mask

I it very nice actually!
    Pretty colors, I think I'll use it as my Menu-button

But I think maybe the original Ubuntu after all is a rather well known brand by now.
    ~Maybe for once, someone will call me 'sir' without adding, 'You're making a scene'~

Beans

While that is a very lovely icon, and would make a great app icon, I think as a professional brand, however, it's too busy.

What makes logos like Ubuntu, Apple, Nike, McDonalds, etc. work is that the graphic logo is simple - abstract, even. A simplified logo that has striking visual impact (with bold strokes and very organic lines), such as the Ubuntu circle makes an almost subconscious statement, and people can remember it easily and remember it well.

The more complex a logo is, the harder it is to remember, and recognize (in terms of nanoseconds) - which is not what you want for brand identification.
    ??? :: ubuntu is my OS soul mate
    UDSF :: Forum Policies :: Unanswered Posts :: Ruby :: Donate
    official ubuntu member
    :: ??????? :: so say we all

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

i like it
    No Sig Here

Beans
    Distro
    Dapper Drake

Quote Originally Posted by andbert
    I it very nice actually!
    Pretty colors, I think I'll use it as my Menu-button

But I think maybe the original Ubuntu after all is a rather well known brand by now.
    thankyou!!!
    I'm flattered!! haha
    thats what the thumbnail was meant for, using as a menu-icon... if anyone would like an svg version, just say the words...

I know that the ubuntu logo has been around for 6 months now, but I dont really think anyone who doesnt use the distro could recognize it, for the afore-mentioned reasons....
    as to the people who know it through using the distro: I was hoping for a reply by a leading ubuntu-artwork team member like this: "hey! thats really nice!! I'll put up a vote to see who wants to change it, then we'll do so in the few days left till hoary is released!!"

hihi.... here's to hoping!!

Quote Originally Posted by kassetra
    While that is a very lovely icon, and would make a great app icon, I think as a professional brand, however, it's too busy.

What makes logos like Ubuntu, Apple, Nike, McDonalds, etc. work is that the graphic logo is simple - abstract, even. A simplified logo that has striking visual impact (with bold strokes and very organic lines), such as the Ubuntu circle makes an almost subconscious statement, and people can remember it easily and remember it well.

The more complex a logo is, the harder it is to remember, and recognize (in terms of nanoseconds) - which is not what you want for brand identification.
    thats a VERY good point....shoot....
    I thought I had it pretty simple (you should have seen the original...), but now you mention it, nike, mcD, windows are MUCH more abstract!!! do you think I have NO chance of success with it like this??? should I go straight back to the drawingboard???
    darn!!!

cheers!
    Nikolai
    Last edited by archibald; March 23rd, 2005 at 10:35 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 20.04 Focal Fossa

I like it, its good, actually its great but not for official logo.
    Your freedom is worth more than you think. Take advantage of it while you can.
    I take Ubuntu

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by archibald
    thats a VERY good point....shoot....
    I thought I had it pretty simple (you should have seen the original...), but now you mention it, nike, mcD, windows are MUCH more abstract!!! do you think I have NO chance of success with it like this??? should I go straight back to the drawingboard???
    darn!!!
    I wouldn't say "NO" chance. But compared to most successful graphic logos, you still have some work to do. (Nike's swoosh, for instance, is an abstract image of the feather of the olympian god Nike's "winged shoes" )

I would really like to have that mask as a background, actually. It's really cool. Against maybe a nice dark brown background... and have Ubuntu on there somewhere... hey can you send me the svg? Now I want to make a background!

I think the current Ubuntu logo is the best in the Linux world right now, actually. It has a lot more in common with logo & graphic design goals and ideas than say, Red Hat or SuSE (which, have both started adjusting their logos and branding to more "simplified" and "organic" lines lately).

As far as character or remembering qualities: simplified shapes are best. Most people can remember circles, squares, and triangles - without even a second thought.

What I and other people in the graphic design world like about the Ubuntu logo is that it's at least two abstract things: "Three different people holding each other in a circle... like a community," and "A circle, with three smaller circles... that may even have three smaller circles on each one of those, etc. which makes it similar to a spiral or a fractal." Both of those ideas, however, go straight into your brain without you knowing it... and most people tend to then think of the brand AS those emotionally charged ideas...

Nike again, for the example: The "swoosh" (even the name of it) makes people think of fast, flying, moving, forward, zoom, etc. All of those things that Nike wants to convey to customers - happens within that one image without people thinking about it, because of the way the swoosh looks like it's in motion and the way it's angled, and the fact that it's abstract...

Hope that quick little intro to logo design helps you.
    ??? :: ubuntu is my OS soul mate
    UDSF :: Forum Policies :: Unanswered Posts :: Ruby :: Donate
    official ubuntu member
    :: ??????? :: so say we all

Beans

I think the graphic looks great. If not as an "official logo", maybe it could be used somewhere, e.g. website, official wallpaper, packaging, etc. I agree that simple logo's are better in terms of remembering them. However, initially I had trouble remembering Ubuntu's logo (which is probably more a statement about me than the logo). I guess the logo represents a top view of three people in a circle holding hands and if I think of that then I can remember the logo. However, since it does not use common colors, I would not remember what colors are in the logo....just that it has an earthy feel to it. I think the coolest Linux logo is Redhat's logo. The redhat is a classic.
    ~Sometimes I doubt your commitment to Sparkle Motion.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

yes i agree that would make an awesome background, minus the white render layer over it and the white background, would look a lot better in black but its just me lol.
    No Sig Here

Beans
    Distro
    Dapper Drake

thankyou very much for all the replies people!!!!

tried to make it simpler... any less lines and I either couldnt use the ubuntu colours, or it wouldnt be a medicine mask, just some dumb face....

you think I should ditch the ubuntu logo colours for this mask?? I mean use the official ubuntu palette, just not exactly the 3 current-logo colours??? I think its kind of ugly like this (though I'm happy with the shapes): I think it may look like he's angry/looks like the german flag!!!

tell me what you think... this ISN'T a final version, in contrary to the last one!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by archibald; March 27th, 2005 at 03:55 AM.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast