Thread: error: unknown filesystem. grub rescue>

Beans

error: unknown filesystem. grub rescue>

I'm an old guy and as much as I hate to admit it, I don't seem to be able to resolve problems when they occur any more. My laptop is a Acer Aspire 7711Z-4433 and I lost my wireless connection to my router. It came with Windows 7 and I have all of the disks.

I reinstalled Windows but I now get an error message "unknown file system. grub rescue>". I really do enjoy ubuntu but when I have these type of problems they are beyond my ability to correct them.

Can anyone tell me how to clear the afore mentioned error message or better yet how to format the hard drive. I cannot get past the error message no matter what I do. Any assistance will be much appreciated.

waltwin

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: error: unknown filesystem. grub rescue>

It seems that your boot loader was damaged by installing windows. Try Boot-Repair. If it's something simple it may fix it, else post the link it gives you. This will provide us with some more information.

Beans

Re: error: unknown filesystem. grub rescue>

After restarting the machine several times, the problem went away and I was able to install Windows, but, I still could not acquire a wireless connection. After many, many hours of research, reading and trial and error I discovered the problem to be in my router. There was no problem I just needed to insert my password into the Pre-shared key box in lieu of the multi-alphanumeric code that was there, and the problem was resolved.

I reinstalled ubuntu 12.04 and it is working fine.

Thank you for your responce

waltwin