Page 67 of 203 FirstFirst ... 1757656667686977117167 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: NTFS with read/write support using ntfs-3g (easy method)

Re: HOWTO: NTFS with read/write support using ntfs-3g (easy method)

Here I Start.

I have a BIG PROBLEM.
    I use ntfs-3g to mount my main data partition, as many stored files are on it.
    I host a FTP server to permit friends downloading data files.

My user name is stag, uid=1000.

Here is my /etc/fstab:

Code:
    # /etc/fstab: static file system information.
    #
    # <file system>         <mount point>           <type>          <options>                                    <dump> <pass>
    proc                    /proc                   proc            defaults                                        0       0
    /dev/sda2               /                       reiserfs        notail                                          0       1
    /dev/hdc2               /home                   reiserfs        defaults                                        0       2
    /dev/hdc1               /media/fic              ntfs-3g         umask=022,locale=fr_FR.UTF-8,uid=1000,gid=1000  0       0
    /dev/sda1               /media/win              ntfs            defaults,nls=utf8,umask=007                     0       1
    /dev/sda3               none                    swap            sw                                              0       0
    /dev/scd0               /media/cdrom0           udf,iso9660     user,noauto                                     0       0

# BINDS POUR PURE-FTP
    # user
    /media/fic/Logiciels                    /var/ftp/user/Logiciels         none    bind,umask=022,gid=1001 0       0
    /media/fic/Download                     /var/ftp/user/Downloads         none    bind,umask=022,gid=1001 0       0
    /media/fic/Documents/Videos             /var/ftp/user/Videos            none    bind,umask=022,gid=1001 0       0
    /media/fic/Documents/Musique            /var/ftp/user/Musique           none    bind,umask=022,gid=1001 0       0
    /home/stag/Buffer                       /var/ftp/user/Upload            none    bind,umask=007,gid=1001 0       0
    # guest
    /media/fic/Logiciels                    /var/ftp/guest/Logiciels        none    bind,umask=022,gid=1001 0       0
    /media/fic/Download                     /var/ftp/guest/Downloads        none    bind,umask=022,gid=1001 0       0
    /media/fic/Documents/Videos             /var/ftp/guest/Videos           none    bind,umask=022,gid=1001 0       0
    /media/fic/Documents/Musique            /var/ftp/guest/Musique          none    bind,umask=022,gid=1001 0       0
    /home/stag/Buffer                       /var/ftp/guest/Upload           none    bind,umask=007,gid=1001 0       0
    As you can see, /dev/hdc1 is mounted using ntfs-3g.
    I use pure-ftpd to serve FTP, and --bind mounts to permit FTP accounts to access data files.

PROBLEMS:
    - FTP users (different from system users with pure-ftpd) can DELETE files on binded folders, even with umask precautions and the fact that /media/fic is owned by my system user (stag) !!!
    - System users can DELETE files on /media/fic ...

These problems doesn't appear with ntfs driver.
    You would say "logical as ntfs driver doesn't write" ... but I mean ... deleting is forbidden by permissions : so problems seems to come from ntfs-3g mount, not from bind mounts.

I WOULD LIKE /media/fic files to be CORRECTLY OWNED BY MY SYSTEM USER (uid=1000) so that FTP users and system users can not delete or write.

I tried to pass the "no_def_opts" to ntfs-3g options as ntfs-3g pass "silent,allow_others" by default, but mount fail with this tag.

HOW CAN I PROCEED ?

Beans

Hi Shinkan

ntfs-3g is set to allow full access to everybody by default since a few release:
    - change: top request: full read-write access to everybody by default
    To change that, you can as usual use the umask, uid, gid, fmask, dmask options. But to use them, you'll have to add a little option documented in the manual :
    uid=, gid=, umask=
    Provide default owner, group, and access mode mask. These options work as documented in mount(8). By default, the files and directories are owned by the user who mounted the volume but everybody has full read, write and executable access, moreover browse permission to any directory.
    If you want to use the currently limited permission handling then use these options together with the default_permissions,fmask and dmask options.
    So simply add default_permissions and it should be ok. fmask and dmask aremore optionnal, at least it works for me without them.
    WARNING : Post with explicit contents
    Join to "STOP monolithic all-in-one unmanageable application"
    The wiki is your friend https://help.ubuntu.com/community/

You're my god

I looked deeply many other options, with experiments and tears, but I understood this option as "use a set of default permissions instead of specified *masks" ... so I didn't tried it.

Well, I think this option should be renamed "perm_handling" or something like that ... huh ?

MANY THANKS !!

Ohw, and another super-noob-question :

I've noticed that deleting a file on my NTFS partition with the "suppr" key put it on an hidden folder called ".Trash-mylogin".

Can I link this folder to my gnome-trash so that emptying the trash will empty this folder ?
    Or maybe should I change the Trash-mylogin folder place to obtain the same effect ?

Thanks in advance !

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Shinkan View Post
    Can I link this folder to my gnome-trash so that emptying the trash will empty this folder ?
    Not that i know.

Beans

Copying large files to USB is really slow... I've tried to copy a large file(2,5 GB) to my USB drive and it said 2 hours remaining... If I copy the same file to an internal drive I get good speed, 3 or 4 minutes on the same file.. I have USB2.0
    Copying files FROM the usb-device goes with good speed

EDIT: searched some other forums, and it seems like this is a nautilus-spesific problem, as it went quite fast(5 min?) when using a terminal and the 'cp'.
    Last edited by xygon; September 30th, 2006 at 06:53 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by xygon View Post
    Copying large files to USB is really slow... I've tried to copy a large file(2,5 GB) to my USB drive and it said 2 hours remaining... If I copy the same file to an internal drive I get good speed, 3 or 4 minutes on the same file.. I have USB2.0
    Copying files FROM the usb-device goes with good speed
    Do you have the same issue in windows ?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by givré View Post
    Do you have the same issue in windows ?
    No, it seems like it is a nautilus problem. Copying with terminal-window and 'cp' went fast. Thanks for the quick reply, now I'm trying with xfe(a lightweight file browser).

Beans

I used this method and it worked great. I can finally write files to my windows drive.

Beans

I do really follow the standard steps but after I umount all and want to mount all, it shows:
    fusermount: unable to open fuse lock file
    Retrying mount ...
    fusermount: unable to open fuse lock file
    Failed to mount NTFSUnmounting /dev/hda8 (Data)

I am using dapper. I do not know where is the problem. Please help me. thanks!

Page 67 of 203 FirstFirst ... 1757656667686977117167 ... LastLast