Page 72 of 203 FirstFirst ... 2262707172737482122172 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: NTFS with read/write support using ntfs-3g (easy method)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: HOWTO: NTFS with read/write support using ntfs-3g (easy method)

Quote Originally Posted by givré View Post
    alan_daniel, you fall to a case which is difficult to manage by the script, sometimes it works, sometimes not. Two solutions :
    - set a label to your HD, that would make the life of the script more easy
    - mount it in a terminal with :
    Code:
    pmount -t ntfs-3g /dev/sd*
    see fdisk -l to know the name of your device.
    I tried mounting it with the pmount command, and i got this error: "Error: could not get sysfs directory"

I don't know how to set a label on the hard drive, so I don't know how to go that route

Thanks for your help

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Quote Originally Posted by alan_daniel View Post
    I tried mounting it with the pmount command, and i got this error: "Error: could not get sysfs directory"

I don't know how to set a label on the hard drive, so I don't know how to go that route

Thanks for your help
    Do this:
    Code:
    sudo fdisk -l
    You get a list of mounted devices. Look over to the far right of the list and you'll see the file system column. Look for NTFS and that's the device you want to pmount. Don't forget to unmount the evice first before you pmount it.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by givré View Post
    Okay guys, sorry for the delay, i'm actually really busy in trying to get accepted as much possible patch in edgy to integrate better ntfs-3g, and writing a spec for edgy+1/+2, (and other stuff )

There were some great improvement made.
    - I send an email to the hal guys, to know what were there plan to integrate fuse volume, and David Zeuthen replied me that he just committed something about that. Full story is there :
    http://lists.freedesktop.org/archive...er/006308.html
    So there is now a better solution than the pretty bad hack i made with my patched hal, and it works great in dapper & edgy, and which works in kde (at least in edgy kde). Talked to pitti about that, but not sure it will make edgy.
    - I file a bug against pmount, to integrate ntfs-3g into it, if you want to add constructive comments, it's there :
    https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu...unt/+bug/63271
    - I consider ntfs-3g enough stable now, so i can propose an easy solution to get it default, so you don't need the script anymore (optional).

So my plan is :
    - change hal to integrate the official patch & remove the old patch
    - put the patched pmount & hal into a separete channel (main-all for exemple) so you are not force to install them
    - finishing my spec and put it in the wiki. Any constructive contributions are welcome.
    Congratulations, givré! =D>

Great job with that! I mean, to make a solid stable driver is one thing, but to make it cooperate with all the other various pieces of software is at least equally important. You did extraordinarily well in my opinion, especially with HAL and stuff to get rid of the as-you-call-it "pretty bad hack" and to do it the right way, many people would not care that much for such problems.

So, to make it clear, what you say is that to get the "correct" HAL patch, we are supposed to wait until you update the repos and then install the updates?

Anyway, good luck with Edgy, I wish you made it to the official repos! The driver seems to be performing extremely well, so it would be a deserved satisfaction 8)

Beans

Ok, there is some issue that need to be solve (if you follow the hal mailing list, you'll understand). So i'll not make the change today, but more probably this weekend, or the following monday.
    Hang on

Zizi, don't forget to thanks Szaka (szaka AT sienet DOT hu) the author of the driver

For the update, all will be explain here. I don't want anymore that my version of hal & pmount get install by default, so i'll put all that in on other channel (main-all). The only things you'll have to do is to add 'main-all' to my repo line, just like when you add 'universe' or 'multiverse' to the official repo.

Unfortunately, we'll not have the patched version for edgy, too much issue that need some change, and not enough time before RC freeze (in few days), but that will be a goal of edgy+1.
    Last edited by givré; October 6th, 2006 at 04:04 PM.
    WARNING : Post with explicit contents
    Join to "STOP monolithic all-in-one unmanageable application"
    The wiki is your friend https://help.ubuntu.com/community/

Beans

I need some help. I loaded ntfs-3g and got it to work perfectly. All of my ntfs drives showed up on the desktop and I had read/write access to them. I shutdown the computer for a few days and booted it back up last night. Now the ntfs drives won't mount. When I tried to mount all the drives with "sudo mount -a" or individually mount the drives I would get a chkdsk message in the command prompt window. What can I do to make this work? I don't want to convert the ntfs drives to fat32 and my kids want the windows programs.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bamend View Post
    I need some help. I loaded ntfs-3g and got it to work perfectly. All of my ntfs drives showed up on the desktop and I had read/write access to them. I shutdown the computer for a few days and booted it back up last night. Now the ntfs drives won't mount. When I tried to mount all the drives with "sudo mount -a" or individually mount the drives I would get a chkdsk message in the command prompt window. What can I do to make this work? I don't want to convert the ntfs drives to fat32 and my kids want the windows programs.
    Just follow the instructions. I think they are enough clear.

Beans

I did follow the instructions and it worked fine until I logged out and logged back in. What could cause this and how do I fix it?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bamend View Post
    I did follow the instructions and it worked fine until I logged out and logged back in. What could cause this and how do I fix it?
    login ? you mean poweroff and reboot i suppose, login & logout don't unmount partition.
    There is multiple cause for that :
    - You leave windows in hibernation or in suspend
    - You didn't unmount cleanly the partition (hard reboot...)
    - Probably more, but all related to an unclean unmount.

Beans

Hi all,

I've followed all the steps listed here, and it's all gone perfectly with the exception of actually mounting my secondary NTFS disk.

The drive is /dev/hdb2, and I've got it set up in my fstab as: /dev/hdb2 /mnt/stuff ntfs-3g defaults,locale=en_US.utf8 0 0. The directory /mnt/stuff exists, and is 777 in permissions.

However, when I go to mount -a I get:
    Code:
    Failed to mount '/dev/hdb2': Operation not supported
    Mount is denied because the NTFS journal file is unclean. Choices are:
    A) Shutdown Windows properly.
    B.) Click the 'Safely Remove Hardware' icon in the Windows taskbar
    notification area before disconnecting the device.
    C) Use 'Eject' from Windows Explorer to safely remove the device.
    D) If you ran chkdsk previously then boot Windows again which will
    automatically initialize the journal.
    E) Run 'ntfsfix' on Linux which will reset the NTFS journal.
    F) Mount the volume read-only by using the 'ro' mount option.
    I've tried mounting the drive as read-only, and then mounting, same problem. It's not connected to Windows at all (it's NTFS formatted, but there are no Windows files on this disk. Just a secondary storage drive).

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks,

-Matt.

Beans

This has nothing to do with some windows file. Your partition is unclean because of one of the reason mention just before :
    - You leave windows in hibernation or in suspend
    - You didn't unmount cleanly the partition (hard reboot...)
    - Probably more, but all related to an unclean unmount.
    So just follow the instructions.

Page 72 of 203 FirstFirst ... 2262707172737482122172 ... LastLast