Thread: How do I work around KDE's headache of not being able to stream videos over Samba?

Beans

How do I work around KDE's headache of not being able to stream videos over Samba?

In Gnome, I open Nautilus, CTRL + L, smb://ip.address.to.server, click video, it plays.
    In KDE, I open Dolphin, CTRL + L, smb://ip.address.to.server, click video, fail.

This is seemingly due to some remaining issues in Kio as well as the lack of .gvfs. This makes me wonder... I'd like to get another KDE install going again so I can see what's new in recent revisions, but this problem is literally a 100% show stopper. I have a media center server with all of my content on it. I'd like to find a way to make this work, but if there's no way around it, this will be a dead end post. Any ideas?
    Last edited by Roasted; August 24th, 2013 at 09:11 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: How do I work around KDE's headache of not being able to stream videos over Samba

I waited 4 years for the plasma-panel bug to be fixed.
    Persistence is not futile...

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Re: How do I work around KDE's headache of not being able to stream videos over Samba

Quote Originally Posted by Roasted View Post
    I have a media center server with all of my content on it. I'd like to find a way to make this work, but if there's no way around it, this will be a dead end post. Any ideas?
    Use NFS to export the share. I stream video from my NFS server to a Kubuntu 13.04 machine all the time. I use smplayer as the video client. I mount the exported share automatically at boot in /etc/fstab, then open the folder, double-click the file, and we're off. I watch a lot of multi-episode anime programs and construct a playlist in smplayer. It will keep track of which episodes you have watched and even where you are in a program if you stop viewing it before it ends.
    Last edited by SeijiSensei; August 25th, 2013 at 08:35 PM.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users