Thread: "undefined reference" with g++ compiler in 12.04

Beans

"undefined reference" with g++ compiler in 12.04

I'm setting up a new desktop with Ubuntu 12.04, 64b and I'm encountering serious linker problems with g++.

My C++ applications I'm normally compiling in Ubuntu 10.04 64b are NOT compiling anylonger within 12.04.

The failures are all of type "undefined reference".

Here below is a shrunk summary of the compiler output, which is gcc version 4.6.3

The command line, which works perfectly with 10.04, is:

>> g++ -g -Wall -lre2 -lcurl *.cpp ../Repository/*.cpp -std=c++0x

The libraries of curl and re2 were compiled and installed with no evident problems.

I'd be very glad to receive hints and directions for resolving this.

Thank You in advance.

Code:
    /tmp/ccVyfLiu.o: In function `downloadData(int*, char*)':
    /home/GetOptionData/getNprepEasy.cpp:124: undefined reference to `curl_slist_append'
    /home/GetOptionData/getNprepEasy.cpp:137: undefined reference to `curl_global_init'
    /home/GetOptionData/getNprepEasy.cpp:140: undefined reference to `curl_easy_init'
    /home/GetOptionData/getNprepEasy.cpp:144: undefined reference to `curl_easy_setopt'
    /home/GetOptionData/getNprepEasy.cpp:164: undefined reference to `curl_easy_perform'
    /home/GetOptionData/getNprepEasy.cpp:181: undefined reference to `curl_easy_setopt'
    /home/GetOptionData/getNprepEasy.cpp:272: undefined reference to `curl_easy_cleanup'
    /home/GetOptionData/getNprepEasy.cpp:274: undefined reference to `curl_global_cleanup'
    /tmp/ccvRI9PF.o: In function `parseYC()':
    /home/GetOptionData/parseHtmls.cpp:70: undefined reference to `re2::RE2::RE2(char const*)'
    /home/GetOptionData/parseHtmls.cpp:73: undefined reference to `re2::RE2::FindAndConsume'
    /home/GetOptionData/parseHtmls.cpp:165: undefined reference to `re2::RE2::~RE2()'
    /tmp/ccvRI9PF.o: In function `Arg':
    /usr/local/include/re2/re2.h:762: undefined reference to `re2::RE2::Arg::parse_char(char const*, int, void*)'
    /usr/local/include/re2/re2.h:767: undefined reference to `re2::RE2::Arg::parse_int(char const*, int, void*)'
    /usr/local/include/re2/re2.h:774: undefined reference to `re2::RE2::Arg::parse_double(char const*, int, void*)'
    /usr/local/include/re2/re2.h:775: undefined reference to `re2::RE2::Arg::parse_string(char const*, int, void*)'

/tmp/ccvRI9PF.o: In function `re2::VariadicFunction2<bool, re2::StringPiece*, re2::RE2 const&, re2::RE2::Arg, &(re2::RE2::FindAndConsumeN(re2::StringPiece*, re2::RE2 const&, re2::RE2::Arg const* const*, int))>::operator()(re2::StringPiece*, re2::RE2 const&, re2::RE2::Arg const&, re2::RE2::Arg const&, re2::RE2::Arg const&) const':
    /usr/local/include/re2/variadic_function.h:33: undefined reference to `re2::RE2::FindAndConsumeN(re2::StringPiece*, re2::RE2 const&, re2::RE2::Arg const* const*, int)'

collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
    Last edited by mamboknave; August 24th, 2013 at 07:18 PM. Reason: cleanup

Beans

Re: "undefined reference" with g++ compiler in 12.04

Try changing the link order - the subordinate libraries need to go AFTER the modules that use them e.g.

Code:
    g++ -g -Wall -std=c++0x *.cpp ../Repository/*.cpp -lcurl -lre2
    You may need to swap -lcurl and -lre2 - I'm guessing about that

-l library

Search the library named library when linking. (The second alternative with the library as a separate argument is only for POSIX compliance and is not recommended.)

It makes a difference where in the command you write this option; the linker searches and processes libraries and object files in the order they are specified. Thus, ‘foo.o -lz bar.o’ searches library ‘z’ after file foo.o but before bar.o. If bar.o refers to functions in ‘z’, those functions may not be loaded.
    http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc/Link-Options.html

Beans

Re: "undefined reference" with g++ compiler in 12.04

Steeldriver: Thanks a lot.
    I made it working following your directions.
    That's a novelty in 12.04 as in the 10.04 version the gcc didn't care about the position of the arguments in the command line.
    Last edited by mamboknave; August 24th, 2013 at 08:42 PM. Reason: clarity