Thread: Why don't Linux books.......?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Why don't Linux books.......?

Hello Everyone
    I have read many books on linux. However there very deficient in addressing troubleshooting. I'v recently had trouble installing a second HDD on my computer. The net has been helpful, but has not been satisfactory much of the time. I've been dabbling with linux for more than ten years but it wasn't easy to use. This year I've tried Ubuntu and have seen a great improvement, and I've decided to jump ship from windows and go full steam with linux. Windows is easier to use than linux, but linux is more stable and performs much better. No more of the annual reinstalls to solve the performance problems. Just a few thoughts.

Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Why don't Linux books.......?

+1. Write your own book on your experiences. It might make interesting reading. I've been Windows free since 2005. Even Steve Ballmer is jumping ship.
    Last edited by tgalati4; August 24th, 2013 at 02:49 AM.
    -------------------------------------
    Oooh Shiny: PopularPages

Unumquodque potest reparantur. Patientia sit virtus.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Books are not good for trouble shooting because many problems are caused by new hardware not being well supported by the manufacturers (example are hybrid graphics like Optimus) and are very specific to your particular combination of hardware. The landscape is changing continuously but books can't keep up.
    "I believe humans get a lot done, not because we're smart, but because we have thumbs so we can make coffee." --Flash Rosenberg

Beans

Linux systems are also so diverse you can trouble shoot in a book aswell as the post above (which i think is the main reason)

prodigy_ is offline May the Ubuntu Be With You!
    Beans

Effective troubleshooting pretty much revolves around predictability. Linux has many different distros and almost all of them evolve rapidly (as well as the kernel itself). UIs and conventions change. Legacy tools are being replaced. Configuration options become obsolete.

Books are good at dealing with basic principles, things that aren't likely to change anytime soon. But when it comes to troubleshooting, Google is your friend.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by tgalati4 View Post
    +1. Write your own book on your experiences. It might make interesting reading. I've been Windows free since 2005. Even Steve Ballmer is jumping ship.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by emerson1979 View Post
    I have read many books on linux. However there very deficient in addressing troubleshooting. I'v recently had trouble installing a second HDD on my computer.
    What kind of trouble? You should just be able to plug it into your computer, format it, and it will appear on the desktop and be usable. Same as on Windows.

Windows is easier to use than linux
    It just seems that way to you, because you're very familiar with Windows.

Windows seems very difficult to me because I've never really used it. Well, not much. Ubuntu is very easy for me, I wouldn't say it's ever been difficult for me. Unfortunately that makes me a bit rubbish at helping with unusual or complicated problems that people post here!

Even Steve Ballmer is jumping ship.
    Dude, the guy's in his late 50s and is worth 15 billion dollars. He's retiring, not "jumping ship". Microsoft is still immensely profitable; it'll take more than Windows 8/RT/Phone 8 to kill Microsoft. When Windows 9 comes out with a slightly redesigned start screen and a new theme it'll be hailed as the greatest moment in computing.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I've always been frustrated with this aspect of learning Linux from books, not because the books should have troubleshooting info, but because it seems like every time I try the examples out of a book, I run into an error at stage 2. By the time I find the solution, I've usually forgotten what I was doing in the book and am frustrated enough at my computer to not want to finish the example anyway.

Nowadays, I find that it's much more productive to just regularly set aside time to tinker and search for guides when I run into things that I don't know how to do.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

The lead time involved in writing and publishing a book means it is almost impossible to keep pace with any kind of digital technology, not just operating systems. The "sweet point" for sales is the few weeks or months after the release of a new product. Established authors often are brought into the development process early under Non-Disclosure Agreements. That allows them to prepare their books and get to them their publisher for release more or less at the same time the product hits the shelves.

But once that brief sweet point passes, digital technology books are so much dead weight.

Publishers also like to tie a book to a specific product. That's why you see more books on Photoshop than books that take a product-agnostic generic approach to image and photo work. Plus, when the next product revision hits the shelves, the book can get a quick revision to account for the changes and be marketed anew.

I suspect publishers see Linux as a market for books targeting newbies, especailly Windows users who might switch. As a result, the books that do come into the market are all very similar and all cover the same very basic territory.

I'm sure publishers are not publishing more advanced Linux books for the same reason they aren't publishing more advanced Windows or OS X books: Very poor sales and rapid obsolescence.

Moving beyond the rudimentaries of Linux can be annoying and frustrating. The general approach to a problem is typically the same across distributions. But, each distribution adds its own configuration details, etc. Too many distributions do not effectively document what they've done, which leaves users Googling around, often in vain.(This seems to often happen with Ubuntu derivatives who don't bother to document the differences they've introduced.) Choosing a distro with good and up-to-date documentation is a smart move. (Ubuntu, Arch, Fedora, OpenSuse, and Debian, off the top of my head, have excellent docs online. Arch's wiki is often generic enough to be useful for any distro user.)
    Last edited by buzzingrobot; August 25th, 2013 at 12:49 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf

I was going to write a book about Windows 8 but I couldn't find my start button
    But seriously, as mentioned above, you could write an article for a Linux magazine
    http://fullcirclemagazine.org/