Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: no brightness control with Fn key and rt & lt arrow keys.

Hybrid View

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

no brightness control with Fn key and rt & lt arrow keys.

I have a new netbook: Acer Aspire One model 725. I installed Ubuntu 12.04.2LTS. The touch pad does not work (unless I push Ctrl + Fn + F7) and the Fn brightness does not work. I have tried several "fixes" but none have worked and one even "broke" my system and I had to reinstall Ubuntu.

I would like to get the Fn brightness control to work, as I often turn the brightness down to extend battery life.
    Using POP!_OS 20.04, which is basically Ubuntu 20.04 with some help from System76.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: no brightness control with Fn key and rt & lt arrow keys.

Have you tries the acpi_osi= kernel parameter? Here's how:

1. Open your grub configuration file for editing as root:
      Code:
      gksu gedit /etc/default/grub
    2. Change the line that reads:
      GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=""
      ...to read:
      Code:
      GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="acpi_osi="
    3. Save the file
    4. Update grub:
      Code:
      sudo update-grub
    5. Reboot

If the brightness still doesn't work on reboot, can you post back the results of the following commands:
    Code:
    cat /proc/cmdline
    Code:
    for i in /sys/class/backlight/*; do echo $i; cat $i/brightness; cat $i/max_brightness; done

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

I tried your solution. I get the applet in the right upper part of screen, but no change in brightness. and the applet does strange things:the brightness symbol bilink and the bar goes back and forth.

john@Osprey:~$ cat /proc/cmdline
    BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-3.5.0-23-generic root=UUID=fcd74ea2-fe7c-456c-aace-213fc0bce507 ro acpi_osi quiet splash vt.handoff=7
    john@Osprey:~$ for i in /sys/class/backlight/*; do echo $i; cat $i/brightness; cat $i/max_brightness; done
    /sys/class/backlight/acpi_video0
    john@Osprey:~$
    Using POP!_OS 20.04, which is basically Ubuntu 20.04 with some help from System76.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by jlh68 View Post
    I tried your solution. I get the applet in the right upper part of screen, but no change in brightness. and the applet does strange things:the brightness symbol bilink and the bar goes back and forth.
    You mispelled the kernel parameter. It should be acpi_osi=. The equals sign needs to be there. Can you try it again?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

I am wondering about that netbook as I have some other issues with it. The WiFi will not connect, the touchpad does not work unless Ctrl + Fn + F7 are pressed and I cannot get it to dual boot into Win7. Maybe some other issues I have not discovered yet. I just set it up last week, It cam with Win7 installed and I changed the partitions for an Ubuntu install. I thought since the netbook HD was 320GB and my Laptop was 320GB and both have Win7 installed, that I could set them up the same. Well dual boot did not work the same.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I am wondering about that netbook as I have some other issues with it. The WiFi will not connect, the touchpad does not work unless Ctrl + Fn + F7 are pressed and I cannot get it to dual boot into Win7. Maybe some other issues I have not discovered yet. I just set it up last week, It cam with Win7 installed and I changed the partitions for an Ubuntu install. I thought since the netbook HD was 320GB and my Laptop was 320GB and both have Win7 installed, that I could set them up the same. Well dual boot did not work the same.
    What video card does it have?
    Code:
    lspci -k | grep -A3 VGA

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Answer to your last post is it has an AMD GPU which has a Rathon 6290 chipset.

To the other I put the correct spelling in (=) and I am having trouble booting. I may have to reinstall Ubuntu. I an getting Some numbers then BUG: soft lockup -CPU#0 stuck for 22s! [kworker/u:0:5] I have 9 such messages and it is adding another about every 50 seconds.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Answer to your last post is it has an AMD GPU which has a Rathon 6290 chipset.

To the other I put the correct spelling in (=) and I am having trouble booting. I may have to reinstall Ubuntu. I an getting Some numbers then BUG: soft lockup -CPU#0 stuck for 22s! [kworker/u:0:5] I have 9 such messages and it is adding another about every 50 seconds.
    If you are unable to boot into Ubuntu because of the kernel parameter, you can remove it during bootup following the instructions in the "Temporarily Add a Kernel Boot Parameter for Testing" section of this page. Just reverse the process, instead of adding a parameter, you'll be removing the parameter. Once you have booted into Ubuntu, edit grub again to remove that parameter (remember to run "sudo update-grub" to make it permanent).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

I would like to reinstall all of Unbuntu and see if I can correct the Win7 not booting. I don't remember how I goit it to work on this laptop bet it boots either Ubuntu or Win7. The image is of this laptop partition table. The subject netbook has a similar one, execpt some ot the partition sizes are slightly different.
    Any suggestions on setting up dual boot? I know that I have not made the windows loader mount in the correct place, but I don't know what it should be and how it should be done.

I want to get the AAO 725 (10.6 screen) setup, and then I will retire the AAO150 (8.9-in screen), actually give it to my grand daughter.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Have a look at this thread for more information on setting up the 725 to run Ubuntu.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast