Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ballmer to Quit... um.... I mean... Retire

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Ballmer to Quit... um.... I mean... Retire

Quote Originally Posted by Roasted View Post
    I was unaware Windows Phone and Windows 8 was such a hit.
    So, two of their products aren't huge successes. They still made $5b.
    That's what she said.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by VTPoet View Post
    Really? Am I the first to comment on this? Or is this on some other thread?
    Maybe he should have "quit" sooner...

Ballmer Fortune Up $625 Million as Microsoft CEO Retires

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-0...o-retires.html

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

He made a simple business decision. Microsoft is worth more without him.
    -------------------------------------
    Oooh Shiny: PopularPages

Unumquodque potest reparantur. Patientia sit virtus.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Somehow, for a long time, I have pictured Ballmer holding Gates over a Toilet and threatening him with a swirly if he wasn't given the CEO position.

Don't know why. But he always seemed like the kind of guy who'd do that.

Anyway, Microsoft is a solid blue chip company, they ain't going away anytime soon.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by deadflowr View Post
    Somehow, for a long time, I have pictured Ballmer holding Gates over a Toilet and threatening him with a swirly if he wasn't given the CEO position.

Don't know why. But he always seemed like the kind of guy who'd do that.

Anyway, Microsoft is a solid blue chip company, they ain't going away anytime soon.
    I certainly agree. If they would once and for all cut the ties to backward compatibility with their earlier releases, they could and would write a release that would knock your socks off. Though a successful IT consultant now, one of my son-in-laws worked for Microsoft in their code cave for several years. He says the technical skill of the company is quite remarkable.
    Last edited by OrangeCrate; August 23rd, 2013 at 09:52 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

He can afford to retire and he is 57 years old. If he is ready to retire; then, I say why not.
    Use whatever OS or desktop works for you. Dual boot or use VMs if you want. Backup your computer regularly, and definitely before upgrading, partitioning, or installing an OS.

No support requests by PM please.

Beans

Our company is still buying Windows 8 machines. When the machines are being prepped for use we just install Classic Start. It's no biggy. Microsoft are a huge company and I'm sure they can weather the issues surrounding Windows 8. No doubt Windows 9 will be a big improvement. Microsoft isn't the only OS distribution that is being mismanaged.
    Last edited by John_McCourt; August 24th, 2013 at 12:10 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

I hate to see him go as he was entertaining as hell, but he hasn't steered Microsoft in the right direction lately. I think his retirement will be a sigh of relief at HQ. Microsoft hasn't been on the leading edge of technology under his tenure. He cut a lot of promising ideas and technologies just to drive the company into neutral ground.

neu5eeCh is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

The more I think about it, the more MS reminds me of the old Soviet Union. Ballmer strikes me as a cross between Nikita Khrushchev and Leonid Brezhnev. I'm not sure how many parts of each. I'm hoping that we get a real reformer in there, a man that the "West" can deal with.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Microsoft's best days are behind them now. They are still a force to be reckoned with, but they are no longer the omnipotent tech giant that they were 10 years ago before Steve Ballmer took over as CEO. I don't see this ship turning around, but I'm biased toward GNU/Linux. I think that with this Windows 8 platform, it's been their greatest mistake that they've committed. It's so bad that it's laughable. Steven Sinofsky and now Steve Ballmer have been forced out to retire. Don't think otherwise. Ballmer saw the writing on the wall after the first 90 days after Windows 8 launched and he was forced out politely. He messed up big time. So long as Microsoft is committed to Windows 8, they will be a slow sinking ship in due time. I can't tell you how many people are put off by Windows 8 and they've switched to Apple Macintosh PCs. I don't see a lot of them moving to GNU/Linux or Ubuntu either. We're still a small minority in the grand scheme of things. I'd say that Windows 8 is worse than Vista. There are so many people that won't buy a new PC because of Windows 8. Their friends, family members, and colleages at work tell them not to buy Windows 8 and that's their deciding factor. Then, they try it in the stores and they don't like it as much as Windows 7.

Now, the pressure is on for Microsoft to release Windows 9 and it absolutely must be their biggest seller of all time. If they keep to their Windows 8 strategy for Windows 9, then they are doomed. Nobody likes the Modern UI next to the desktop app. It sucks. It's worse than Ubuntu Unity.
    Last edited by Irihapeti; August 26th, 2013 at 11:41 AM. Reason: language

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast