Hello all and thank you in advance for any suggestions,

I have been trying to install gnu octave-3.6.4 on my system but am facing a little hang up. But I believe I am almost done.

my kernel info (uname -a): Linux OBJECTIVE 3.2.0-41-generic #66-Ubuntu SMP Thu Apr 25 03:27:11 UTC 2013 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

I have downloaded the following package and have been trying to build it. The following is the output of the command "aptitude show octave":
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________

Package: octave
State: not installed
Version: 3.6.4-1~ppa1~precise1
Priority: extra
Section: math
Maintainer: Debian Octave Group <pkg-octave-devel@lists.alioth.debian.org>
Architecture: amd64
Uncompressed Size: 4,909 k
Depends: libamd2.2.0 (>= 1:3.4.0), libarpack2 (>= 2.1), libblas3gf | libblas.so.3gf | libatlas3gf-base,
libc6 (>= 2.14), libccolamd2.7.1 (>= 1:3.4.0), libcholmod1.7.1 (>= 1:3.4.0), libcolamd2.7.1 (>=
1:3.4.0), libcurl3-gnutls (>= 7.16.2-1), libcxsparse2.2.3 (>= 1:3.4.0), libfftw3-3, libfltk1.1
(>= 1.1.7), libgcc1 (>= 1:4.1.1), libgl1-mesa-glx | libgl1, libglpk0 (>= 4.30),
libgraphicsmagick++3, libgraphicsmagick3 (>= 1.3.5), liblapack3gf | liblapack.so.3gf |
libatlas3gf-base, liboctave1 (= 3.6.4-1~ppa1~precise1), libqhull5 (>= 2003.1), libstdc++6 (>=
4.6), texinfo, octave-common (= 3.6.4-1~ppa1~precise1)
Recommends: gnuplot-x11 | gnuplot-qt, libatlas3gf-base | libopenblas-base, pstoedit
Suggests: octave-info, octave-doc, octave-htmldoc
Conflicts: octave3.2, octave3.2, octave
Replaces: octave3.2, octave3.2
Provided by: octave3.2
Description: GNU Octave language for numerical computations
Octave is a (mostly Matlab (R) compatible) high-level language, primarily intended for numerical
computations. It provides a convenient command-line interface for solving linear and nonlinear problems
numerically.

Octave can be dynamically extended with user-supplied C++ files.
__________________________________________________ ___________________________

At the end of the output for "./configure" is the following:

Octave is now configured for x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu

Source directory: .
Installation prefix: /usr/local
C compiler: gcc -Wall -W -Wshadow -Wformat -Wpointer-arith -Wmissing-prototypes -Wstrict-prototypes -Wwrite-strings -Wcast-align -Wcast-qual -g -O2 -pthread
C++ compiler: g++ -I/usr/local/include/freetype2 -I/usr/local/include -I/usr/local/include -Wall -W -Wshadow -Wold-style-cast -Wformat -Wpointer-arith -Wwrite-strings -Wcast-align -Wcast-qual -g -O2
Fortran compiler: gfortran -O
Fortran libraries: -L/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-linux-gnu/4.6 -L/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-linux-gnu/4.6/../../../x86_64-linux-gnu -L/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-linux-gnu/4.6/../../../../lib -L/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu -L/lib/../lib -L/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu -L/usr/lib/../lib -L/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-linux-gnu/4.6/../../.. -lgfortran -lm -lquadmath
Lex libraries:
LIBS: -lm

AMD CPPFLAGS:
AMD LDFLAGS:
AMD libraries: -lamd
ARPACK CPPFLAGS:
ARPACK LDFLAGS:
ARPACK libraries:
BLAS libraries: -lblas
CAMD CPPFLAGS:
CAMD LDFLAGS:
CAMD libraries: -lcamd
CARBON libraries:
CCOLAMD CPPFLAGS:
CCOLAMD LDFLAGS:
CCOLAMD libraries: -lccolamd
CHOLMOD CPPFLAGS:
CHOLMOD LDFLAGS:
CHOLMOD libraries: -lcholmod
COLAMD CPPFLAGS:
COLAMD LDFLAGS:
COLAMD libraries: -lcolamd
CURL CPPFLAGS:
CURL LDFLAGS:
CURL libraries: -lcurl
CXSPARSE CPPFLAGS:
CXSPARSE LDFLAGS:
CXSPARSE libraries: -lcxsparse
DL libraries: -ldl
FFTW3 CPPFLAGS:
FFTW3 LDFLAGS:
FFTW3 libraries: -lfftw3
FFTW3F CPPFLAGS:
FFTW3F LDFLAGS:
FFTW3F libraries:
fontconfig CFLAGS: -I/usr/local/include
fontconfig LIBS: -L/usr/local/lib -lfontconfig
FT2_CFLAGS: -I/usr/local/include/freetype2 -I/usr/local/include
FT2_LIBS: -L/usr/local/lib -lfreetype
GLPK CPPFLAGS:
GLPK LDFLAGS:
GLPK libraries:
graphics CFLAGS: -I/usr/local/include -I/usr/local/include/FL/images -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -D_LARGEFILE64_SOURCE -D_THREAD_SAFE -D_REENTRANT
graphics LIBS: -L/usr/local/lib -lfltk_gl -lGLU -lGL -lfltk -lXext -lXinerama -lpthread -ldl -lm -lX11
Magick++ CPPFLAGS:
Magick++ LDFLAGS:
Magick++ libraries:
HDF5 CPPFLAGS:
HDF5 LDFLAGS:
HDF5 libraries:
LAPACK libraries: -llapack
OPENGL libraries: -L/usr/local/lib -lfontconfig -lGL -lGLU
PTHREAD flags: -pthread
PTHREAD libraries:
QHULL CPPFLAGS:
QHULL LDFLAGS:
QHULL libraries: -lqhull
QRUPDATE libraries: -lqrupdate
READLINE libraries: -lreadline
REGEX libraries: -L/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu -lpcre
TERM libraries: -lncurses
UMFPACK libraries: -lumfpack
X11 include flags:
X11 libraries: -lX11
Z CPPFLAGS:
Z LDFLAGS:
Z libraries: -lz

Default pager: less
gnuplot: gnuplot

Do internal array bounds checking: false
Use octave_allocator: false
Build static libraries: false
Build shared libraries: true
Dynamic Linking: true (dlopen)
Include support for GNU readline: true
64-bit array dims and indexing: false

configure: WARNING: GLPK library not found. The glpk function for solving linear programs will be disabled.
configure: WARNING: GraphicsMagick++ library not found. The imread function for reading image files will not be fully functional.
configure: WARNING: HDF5 library not found. Octave will not be able to save or load HDF5 data files.
configure: WARNING: I didn't find texi2dvi, but it's only a problem if you need to reconstruct the DVI version of the manual
configure:
configure: NOTE: libraries may be skipped if a library is not found OR
configure: NOTE: if the library on your system is missing required features.
__________________________________________________ _______________________________

Now, regarding the warnings. I know that I have installed all three of those libraries. The GLPK, GraphicsMagick++, and HDF5, respectively. After reading the installation
instructions and recommendations that came with each package, I went to each website given and downloaded and then installed each library.

It could be that some feature of each is not updated or that I did not install the correct version of the packages. But I did follow the instructions included with ocatve-3.6.4 tarball in terms of the websites provided for the tools recommended.

Additionally, I did install a library from the software center associated with "texi2dvi". It could be that that was also outdated. I could not fing any other with the same name.

Furthermore, you may have noticed above in the output for the "aptitude" command that it is written "Conflicts: octave3.2, octave3.2, octave". However, I do not
remember ever installing any other versions of gnu octave. And I have used the "locate" command to verify this.

Now, I have updated my system many times with sudo apt-get update while having gone through at least 5 times the instructions for each of the packages listed in the warnings.

Basically, I am stuck.

I tried to figure it out myself, as I have done before with my beautiful system, but this time I guess I went above my level.

Any suggestions?

Let me know if I have provided enough information for us to solve this one.. . . .