Thread: What next for Ubuntu?

Beans

What next for Ubuntu?

With the failure to reach the fundraising goal with Ubuntu edge, what is next? Do we keep trying with the mobile platform, or do we focus back on the Desktop/Laptop platform?

Beans

Re: What next for Ubuntu?

I think Ubuntu will still go mobile, just not with the Edge hardware. I honestly thought it was a pretty good deal, considering what other top-of-the-line phones go for without contracts. Anyway, I do like the idea of what Canonical is trying to do with Ubuntu in making it span multiple platforms. I'd really love to have just one device that does it all.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Thread moved to Ubuntu, Linux and OS Chat.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

What next for Ubuntu? Why UDS, of course

http://uds.ubuntu.com/

I doubt very much if you will hear any talk of focusing back on the desktop at UDS. In fact what next for the desktop has already been decided. It is called Unity Next (renamed to Unity 8).

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UnityNextSpec

What next for Ubuntu is planned and discussed months and months in advance. The focus always has been and still is on the Ubuntu platform. By this time next year (or a little later) Ubuntu will be a distribution that can be installed on devices having different form factors and work as a mobile phone at the same time.

We need visionaries to answer the question, What next for Ubuntu 16.04? From now until 14.10 what next for Ubuntu has already been decided.

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans

No need to pick a "focus" desktop and mobile can contiune together untill the point mobiles can run the desktop.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by John_McCourt View Post
    With the failure to reach the fundraising goal with Ubuntu edge, what is next? Do we keep trying with the mobile platform, or do we focus back on the Desktop/Laptop platform?
    glen@Raring:~$ groups glen
    glen : glen adm cdrom sudo dip plugdev lpadmin sambashare
    I don't appear to belong to the group canonical.

Beans
    Distro

Getting Ubuntu to support 4K and 8K resolutions.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by King Dude View Post
    Getting Ubuntu to support 4K and 8K resolutions.
    Now that we have vUDS every three months, what's to stop you from putting a blueprint together for the next UDS in November?
    Last edited by cariboo; August 29th, 2013 at 01:58 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

The Edge campaign was a fantastic marketing stunt by Canonical. The goal was almost impossible to reach but it gave the company media coverage and all kinds of attention.

One thought came to me. Although I am not a Linux expert, I recognize that ubuntu is pushing linux forward in terms of setting the new standards for the OS, with the implementation of Unity, services and new software technologies.
    The other projects (distros not ubuntu based) don't seem to be evolving, just mending things and making small changes, perpetuating the "same" user experience, whereas in each Ubuntu release there is (almost) always something brand new, pushing forward our experience and our view of Linux.

Is my thinking accurate? What do you think?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Since we know that the development of the phone OS is still going to go forward, and the actual next thing will be saucy, I'll answer the generic thread title with

A trip to the day spa for massages and pedicures!
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful