Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What are some decent games for a low spec PC?

Beans

Talking What are some decent games for a low spec PC?

Currently running Ubuntu Unity using Crouton on my Acer c7 Chromebook, sweet little laptop for web browsing, but gaming is literally crippled. What are some low graphics games I can play on this thing?

Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: What are some decent games for a low spec PC?

You still have higher stats than me. You might try Minetest. Pretty nifty game from what I have seen, and you might be able to run it okay from what I know. Should be easier to run than Minecraft.

You can also run Ardentryst, which is a cool game in it's own right. PCSX-Reloaded you can run that, so if you have any PS1 Games you can pop them in and play them too. You should be able to run Steam of course, I can, but I can not run much of the games on it hahaaha. Do not forget browser games, like runescape, these work on any system if your browser can run it and you have good net really. There are plenty of cool anime like ones too.

Wine of course can let you play windows type games, you might be surprised what your machine could handle.
    Proverbs 14:15

The simple believeth every word: but the prudent man looketh well to his going.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

Cool Re: What are some decent games for a low spec PC?

I have an Acer C7 as well, and I am able to run Half-Life and its expansions, all the Orange Box games, Torchlight, several games from GOG.com (Baldurs Gate, Planescape:Torment) installed with PlayOnLinux, and, of course, Dominions 3. The much-maligned Sandy Bridge graphics are actually pretty good, at least with the Intel drivers which are already installed. I would recommend adding the ubuntu-x-swat PPA for the latest stable Intel drivers.

I wouldn't try a game like, oh, Trine 2 on the Acer, but it's pretty surprising just what this little $200 machine will run.

I drink my Ubuntu black, no sugar.
    Ubuntu user 28819

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

I will add that you'll get the best game performance with lubuntu-desktop, or you can also try razor-qt. Unity (the default Ubuntu desktop) is not currently optimized for games, IMHO.

Ubuntu user 28819

Beans

solitaire / pegs / chess

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Heroes of Might and Magic III, there is even a Linux-version of it.
    This is my signature

Beans

Thanks for the replies! I'm starting to use this thing more then my main windows pc haha. I really like Ubuntu, just wish I could use something other then unity, but crouton has some issues with anything other then unity so I can't use kubuntu or xubuntu unfortunately

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

That is odd, but sometimes that happens. I have found XFCE to run amazing on my computer, but sometimes one DE or another might not work well with random Hardware. Anyway, Hope you have fun gaming, be sure to check some of the sticky post on the gaming broad for more stuff.
    Proverbs 14:15

The simple believeth every word: but the prudent man looketh well to his going.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

Quote Originally Posted by mikepacillo View Post
    Thanks for the replies! I'm starting to use this thing more then my main windows pc haha. I really like Ubuntu, just wish I could use something other then unity, but crouton has some issues with anything other then unity so I can't use kubuntu or xubuntu unfortunately
    Not trying to tell you what to do or anything, but if you, instead of continuing to use crouton, were to install Chrubuntu thus:

http://chromeos-cr48.blogspot.com/20...em-all_31.html

You can then boot between ChromeOS and Linux, rather than running Linux from within ChromeOS as crouton does. Personally, although I can easily reboot into ChromeOS, I simply don't; Linux does everything I want a computer to do (except for playing certain Windows games, for which I have a dual-boot desktop).

The above instructions allow you to install 12.04, 12.10, 13.04 or even 13.10 in whatever *buntu desktop you wish. I used lubuntu-desktop for my installation, but you can install KDE, or LXDE, or XCFE or even razor-qt for a nice lightweight desktop that's still usable for heavy lifting.

Ubuntu user 28819

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Warzone 2100 worked on my cheapo intel very nice.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast