Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Please help assigning IPs

Beans

Please help assigning IPs

Hello

I am new (2 days) to ubuntu server 13.04. I run a Minecraft server and I am in the process of transferring everything to a dedicated, remote server. I have access via PuTTY and filezilla. I am still pretty unfamiliar with the OS and with its commands.

The dedicated server came with 4 IP addresses assigned to it and right now we are only using the primary one. I would like to assign some of the other IP addresses to tasks (such as a voice chat server, web page, etc.)

Could someone tell me how to do this please, step by step? Forgive me if any of my terminology is incorrect.

Thanks a lot

Beans

Re: Please help assigning IPs

pretty please?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

You have a host or do you run your own server?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by cronie2 View Post
    Hello

I am new (2 days) to ubuntu server 13.04. I run a Minecraft server and I am in the process of transferring everything to a dedicated, remote server. I have access via PuTTY and filezilla. I am still pretty unfamiliar with the OS and with its commands.

The dedicated server came with 4 IP addresses assigned to it and right now we are only using the primary one. I would like to assign some of the other IP addresses to tasks (such as a voice chat server, web page, etc.)

Could someone tell me how to do this please, step by step? Forgive me if any of my terminology is incorrect.

Thanks a lot
    If you tell us what youd like to want, we can perhaps help you a bit better
    Don't waste your energy trying to change opinions ... Do your thing, and don't care if they like it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Are you sure you got 4 external IPs, IPv4 addresses are getting harder to come by so most hosts only give you 1 unless you really need more.

Also, other than for multiple SSL certs, there really isn't a reason to use a different IP for each service. I'd set up a domain name to point to one of the external IP addresses and then use that for everything. Voice chat runs on a different port than HTTP or SMTP, etc. You can use the same IP/Domain Name for all of them and it will be much easier to manage.

For example:

You open a browser and type in "mydomain.com" and it brings up the web page.
    Open Mumble and put in "mydomain.com" and the mumble port and it will connect voice chat.
    Open putty and put in "mydomain.com" and choose SSH and it will connect to my server.

etc. etc.

No reason to use different IP addresses in this case.
    Last edited by Kevin_Arnold; August 25th, 2013 at 10:45 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin_Arnold View Post
    Are you sure you got 4 external IPs, IPv4 addresses are getting harder to come by so most hosts only give you 1 unless you really need more.

Also, other than for multiple SSL certs, there really isn't a reason to use a different IP for each service. I'd set up a domain name to point to one of the external IP addresses and then use that for everything. Voice chat runs on a different port than HTTP or SMTP, etc. You can use the same IP/Domain Name for all of them and it will be much easier to manage.

For example:

You open a browser and type in "mydomain.com" and it brings up the web page.
    Open Mumble and put in "mydomain.com" and the mumble port and it will connect voice chat.
    Open putty and put in "mydomain.com" and choose SSH and it will connect to my server.

etc. etc.

No reason to use different IP addresses in this case.
    It isnt that hard, I have 2 /28s and 1 /27, and ARIN isnt even complaining... (ive owned them for several years now). Some hosts use a /32 as the main subnet, some give out a /29 by default, it just depends on the host
    Don't waste your energy trying to change opinions ... Do your thing, and don't care if they like it.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by sandyd View Post
    It isnt that hard, I have 2 /28s and 1 /27, and ARIN isnt even complaining... (ive owned them for several years now). Some hosts use a /32 as the main subnet, some give out a /29 by default, it just depends on the host
    Right, but I'm sure you knew what you were doing when getting those. I just assumed since this was in the Absolute Beginners section, he may have just done an "ifconfig" and saw 4 things in there and thought that meant he had 4 IPs. I could be wrong, though. He says he has a dedicated server where more IPs are likely. Most VPSs just give out 1, though.

None of that changes the fact that he probably can do everything he needs off of a single IP addresses.

Beans

Thank you for your responses.

Basically, right now I am just looking for information. I really don't understand a lot about this and I don't know how to search for it.

Currently the server is running a Minecraft server and a voice chat server on the main IP. In the future, I might want to set up another minecraft server and I would prefer to use a separate IP so people can use the default ports for both.

I am attaching a screenshot of my server specs to help with any answers. Under "IP allocation" it says I have 4 sequential IPs and currently I am using the first one. How can I use the others? I feel like I may as well use them for something since they are paid for

Thanks in advance for any replies

Beans
    Distro

I know this isn't what you're looking for but with a server like that, I would have set up a couple virtual machines and ran the minecraft servers on those. You could give each VM it's own external IP address.

I'm sure you can still do it the way you are mentioning, though. I just have never set up a minecraft server so I don't know the specifics on that.

Beans

I don't think you're going to like this, but given the level of expertise you're showing and the deliciousness of this box as some black-hat hacker's remote platform, maybe you should consider a consultant.

Get a contractor, get them to sign a contract and a non-disclosure agreement, and have them configure your server.

Hardware like that is expensive. I have rented rack space too, I know what you must be paying for this thing. If you were installing the server first on your home network or office network, experimenting, wiping it off a few times and reinstalling to get this right, then I would continue as you are going with community support.

You're obviously trying to install a commercially viable system, and it's going to get attacked just because that's what black-hats do. You won't even have to give us a domain name, people will simply see that you're setting up this type of box and wait for a new Minecraft server to come up. If you've left anything out for security they'll find it.

The time for experimentation is before you own the box. Trial and error on a dual or quad core desktop with a couple nics on it, as many times as it takes, and then start from scratch on your real public box when you know what to do.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast