Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wired Connection doesn't work anymore. May have screwed something up, please Help!

Beans

Re: Wired Connection doesn't work anymore. May have screwed something up, please Help

I'm on 13.04.

Beans

Re: Wired Connection doesn't work anymore. May have screwed something up, please Help

Alright so I figured it out, not sure why this happened so maybe someone can try to help me understand it:

I backed up my relevant files, tried to boot from an Ubuntu min. install disk. It failed to connect to the network. It said that my network must not be configured for DHCP or there is a problem with the network hardware. I shut everything off and removed my recently installed graphics card (Nvidia 8400GS) and tried to boot from the same Ubuntu install disk. It instantly connected to the network and was able to download all needed files for a clean install.

My thinking is that when I tried to run the installer for Arch (with the video card installed), it changed some driver settings or installed the wrong drivers. (That was the first "install" attempt I made since installing the video card). Does this make sense? What else could it be?

When I put the graphics card in, I did lose access to the integrated sound in/outs on the motherboard. Ubuntu wasn't indicating any possible sound connections (not even a dummy input was listed as I saw mentioned on some troubleshooting forums).

Any thoughts or advice for getting the video card back in my machine while avoiding the networking and sound problems?

Thanks for your help guys!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by papibe View Post
    Hi chili555.

Thanks for the heads up

I wasn't aware of that since I'm using it myself on my 12.04 desktop without noticeable problems.

What would be the signs of a faulty driver? The dhclient fail?

@Jeremy_Stewart, What version of Ubuntu are you using?

Regards.
    Looks like it healed itself!

The symptom is not just that it won't get an address by DHCP, but also static! Everything looks fine but it just doesn't work.

Are you able to help young Jeremy further?
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, B.Sc., M.Sc., M.A., Ph.D., Sc.D.

Beans

It is working again, but I still haven't reinstalled the video card, which seemed to be the culprit. Any thoughts on how this created this interaction? How can I avoid it if I want to reinstall it?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12