Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Now that the Ubuntu Edge has failed can we please stop with the mobile stuff?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Re: Now that the Ubuntu Edge has failed can we please stop with the mobile stuff?

People shouldn't have a problem calling this campaign for what it is - a failure. But also what matters is that it's not the end of the world.
    I also am predominantly a desktop user, and would love for Ubuntu leaders to concentrate more on it, as i feel it was kind of a non-important project since Precise onwards. The market may be stagnant, but far from unimportant, as was also stated by dedoimedo in one of his articles. Making Ubuntu a great solution for professionals that are not software developers would be a great income - like architects f.ex. Those people pay A LOT for their work to be made easier.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Now that the Ubuntu Edge has failed can we please stop with the mobile stuff?

Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain20122 View Post
    Yeah if this prove "limited" I wonder how well your favourite Linux desktop distro (or any Linux desktop project for that matter) would fare in a campaign like that. So it proves that Linux desktop is a waste of time? In fact it is doing better than any crowd funding project in the same time span. how then can you draw your conclusion?
    This has absolutely nothing to do with the subject. The desktop that I use isnt trying to prove to the world it can be profitable.

This was described as a "formula one" phone aimed at enthusiasts, the ordinary users are slow to adopt to new technology but once the idea catches on they will go for it if it has merits. If everyone takes your approach there will never be any new idea or new innovation because first (or second third) runs usually fails.
    So why dump $700 on it? If Canonical wants to make this work, they need to be the ones willing to take the risk. They tried to pass the risk on to the consumers with an un-tested phone, yet-to-be-completed phone OS, from a company that doesnt make hardware. The consumer market answered loud and clear.

Well yeah suppose I think xfce and kde are terrible does it follow that it is some kind of universal truth and that these projects should die? It is only my opinion (actually not, even though I am not a big fan for the "desktop paradigm" but just to make a point).
    I never said Unity should die. If you want to use Unity, please do. But realize that it is not for everyone and that it is not the only Linux DE making advancements in computing.

What do you think if I show up constantly to whine about them while all I need to do is to switch to something else? Now at least I have something else to switch to, now we have more choices. In pre Unity/gnome shell days everything on the offer kind of looked the same. With Unity/gnome shell we now have more options, it is not that Canonical takes away your options, it gives more by creating something different and you are free to take it or leave it. How can this be bad? It is the Unity haters who try to take away options by returning the world to a point where all DE had the same uniform Windows looks and feel (they even go for typically blue or green colours) There are far more Windows-ish DE around, why can't you people just pick one and leave it at that? We want our choices too.
    Again, I never said that Unity should be banished. I dont care what desktop you or anybody else uses. But, not everyone likes it and, as I said in my original post, Canonical has built a bit of a wall around themselves by using Unity because a lot of people really do not like it. So when Canonical tries to sell a Unity device to the Linux community, a lot of them are not going to go for it.

The incessant Complaints of gnome2 nacrophiles are getting petty and tiresome. News flash: gnome 2 would have died anyway even without Unity, gnome killed it and gnome shell actually looks a lot more like a "phone interface" than Unity.Unity looks kind of Mac like, which is not a phone interface.
    Whats more petty and tiresome is when people assume that because I dont like Unity Im a Gnome 2 necrophiliac. Who said anything about Gnome 2? I havent used Gnome 2 for years.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sandyd View Post
    And its already been done. By motorola's Atrix/2 series. The idea itself for having the ability to connect to a monitor and to be used as a computer is not that new tbh
    Canonical and convergence is kind of like the whole iPad/Apple/tablet thing. They didn't create it convergence just like Apple did not create the tablet. But they took an existing idea and built from there.

Quote Originally Posted by QIII View Post
    OK, Orville and Wilbur. You crashed another one. Now can you just put all this airplane nonsense behind you and just concentrate on making your bicycles better?
    You just won the internet.

Beans

This would be a nice topic to discuss at Discourse (http://15.185.120.52/). I got the impression that several Canonical employees favor that site. Plus, it needs a lot of traffic to "kick the tyres".
    Users can easily damage their systems by using sudo su if they aren't experienced enough.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

"So when Canonical tries to sell a Unity device to the Linux community, a lot of them are not going to go for it."

Sell? They aren't selling anything...they simply came up with a superior version of gnome shell when the gnome developers would not work with them...
    Again...Unity is just a dock...that is all it is...don't know how many times i have to say it until it sinks in with you...

So, if you don't like docks, use a more windows like interface as you have with kubuntu...and if you like docks (and MANY people do) you use UBUNTU....
    Plain and simple...

Also, what you probably do not realize is that a lot of people who at first either hated or didn't think they liked unity when it initially arrived in Ubuntu 11.04, have since come around and not only use it but ENJOY using it...

There are various windows users that switched to Macs but you don't see them telling Apple...Hey! Why don't you have a lower panel and slab menu like windows (or at least windows did have until version 8) instead of a DOCK? In fact, they actually LIKE that it is different and has a dock instead of a slab menu...
    Last edited by craig10x; August 26th, 2013 at 04:15 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by craig10x View Post
    "So when Canonical tries to sell a Unity device to the Linux community, a lot of them are not going to go for it."

Sell? They aren't selling anything...they simply came up with a superior version of gnome shell when the gnome developers would not work with them...
    Again...Unity is just a dock...that is all it is...don't know how many times i have to say it until it sinks in with you...
    Ehhh....they tried to sell the Ubuntu Edge. Thats what this thread is about.

So, if you don't like docks, use a more windows like interface as you have with kubuntu...and if you like docks (and MANY people do) you use UBUNTU....
    Plain and simple...

Also, what you probably do not realize is that a lot of people who at first either hated or didn't think they liked unity when it initially arrived in Ubuntu 11.04, have since come around and not only use it but ENJOY using it...
    My gripe with Unity is not the dock. I dont mind docks at all and although Im not using one now, I have used them a lot in the past. I wouldnt leave a distro simply because of a dock. I dont like Unity because:
    I cant move the dock or customize it without installing third-party software.
    I really, really dont want a dock on the left side of my screen because I use it for other things.
    I dont like top panels at all. I tired one out for a few weeks to see if I could get used to it but no, they arent for me.
    The dash is, for me, cumbersome and time consuming.
    There are no system settings at all.
    In my opinion KDE applications are, in general, better than GTK applications.

Unity has the look and feel of an OS for mobile devices. I use a desktop and Unity just doesnt do what I want it to on the desktop. That is what this thread is about. In case youve forgotten, the thread title is "Now that the Ubuntu Edge has failed can we please stop with the mobile stuff?"

There are various windows users that switched to Macs but you don't see them telling Apple...Hey! Why don't you have a lower panel and slab menu like windows (or at least windows did have until version 8) instead of a DOCK? In fact, they actually LIKE that it is different and has a dock instead of a slab menu...
    Good for them. What does this have to do with this thread?

Beans

Guys, admit it. Ubuntu Edge failed at getting enough money in order to get the product on the assembly line. Am I right?
    CrunchBang Linux
    Plz no tpe lik dis or no anser!!
    The search tool can be found in the upper right corner of your screen, please use it to your advantage, especially before asking questions.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by codingman View Post
    Guys, admit it. Ubuntu Edge failed at getting enough money in order to get the product on the assembly line. Am I right?
    Who is not admitting it? What exactly are you (or the "we" in the title) getting at or trying to achieve with these sorts of posts?
    Users can easily damage their systems by using sudo su if they aren't experienced enough.

Beans

Dearly sorry if I misinterpreted, but at the time of posting it seemed that there was some rage going on. Sorry for spamming as well.
    CrunchBang Linux
    Plz no tpe lik dis or no anser!!
    The search tool can be found in the upper right corner of your screen, please use it to your advantage, especially before asking questions.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 17.04 Zesty Zapus

There's always rage going on when it comes to Ubuntu. Can't pretend to completely understand it.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast