Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: which is good on an older computer

Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: which is good on an older computer

some vaios are problematic yes.

however in this case it depends on components. but from this basic data (dual core, 2 GB ram) all versions will run fast on such a mashcine. as long as GPU is supported. sicne it's a notebook the OP will need to test wi-fi, function keys, touchpad, DVD drive if any, hibernate/suspend, battery usage... many things that can go wrong with laptoip compatibility. i too suggest LTS. Ubuntu for it's gnome keep it simple&hide the settings to not overwhelm the user principle and Kubuntu as it works and feels similar than windows. however all other other variants are good and easy to use. so if the user would prefer a different one just install the desktop they want.
    Easy to understand Ubuntu manual with lots of pics:
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    User friendly disk backup: Redobackup

Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: which is good on an older computer

I have an older 13"4 Vaio (2005 or 2006, no webcam), dual core, 1GB ram, intel graphics, 13.04 with unity, runs fine.
    Edit: I should add the on/off buttons for wifi/bluetooth works, hibernate/suspend works, battery is dead but correctly detected upon 13.04 fresh install (says no battery present, but with the correct specs). swap gets used though.
    Last edited by bapoumba; August 22nd, 2013 at 07:55 AM.
    | My old and mostly abandoned blog |
    Linux user #413984 ; Ubuntu user #178
    J'aime les fraises.
    Nighty night me lovelies!

| Reinstalling Ubuntu ? Please check this bug first ! |
    | Using a ppa ? Please install ppa-purge from universe, you may need it should you want to revert packages back |
    | No support requests / username changes by PM, thanks. |

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12