Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu 13.04 is slower than Windows 8?

Beans

Ubuntu 13.04 is slower than Windows 8?

Today I decided to try out Ubuntu 13.04 on my ASUS A55A PC. Honestly, I have been trying to get linux on my PC for a while because I have heard linux is suppose to be "way" faster than Windows. Finally I got around the UEFI firmware but have experienced a much slower, less snappy PC. Here are some specs:

Specs:
    Memory 5.7 GiB
    Proccessor Intel® Core™ i5-3210M CPU @ 2.50GHz × 4
    Graphics Intel® Ivybridge Mobile
    OS type 64-bit
    Disk: 9.4 GB

Note: My OS drive has 69,5 GB left on it, after installing Ubuntu. My Data drive has 277.5 GB left on it. I was thinking of trying to boot off the Data drive to see If I would get any speed improvments.

Installation: Did the typical "Install alongside Windows 8"

Anyways, is it common for Ubuntu to be slower than Windows? I have always heard the opposite. Was it due to me installing Ubuntu "alongside Windows 8" and only having 9.4 GB of Disk Space? It is not terribly slow but enough to be noticiable. On the good side, I really like the workspace switcher.

I would like to stick with Ubuntu but cannot seem to completely be satifsfied knowing the Windows 8 is more snappy and just quicker!

In conclusion, is the lack of speed in Ubuntu 13.04 due to my ignorance in only giving it 9.4 GB of disk space or rather that Windows 8 is superior to Ubuntu in terms of speed?

Beans

Re: Ubuntu 13.04 is slower than Windows 8?

Welcome to the real world windows always was and is the fastest os in the world, no matter what you heard in linux forums. Maybe some hairy linux fans would start to shout, that ubuntu is slow and it is not linux and blah blah blah, try archlinux blah blah blah, but thats is a lie too. It's not just an accident, that windows rules the world, it costs a few hundred bucks, but thats what you get - the fastest os with the best drivers and everything else, including top quality software and millions of games, which of course costs money too, but thats not a problem compared to what you get. Especially with intel graphics, linux intel graphics is getting better, but there still is a big hole between linux and windows versions of intel graphics drivers.
    Last edited by startas; August 21st, 2013 at 06:45 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Just curious...

Anyone have any objective data to demonstrate that Windows 8 is the faster of the two? Or (for the Linux fanboyz out there) that Linux is faster?

There are so many variables in terms of what people subjectively perceive as "fast". You'd have to define what "fast" is, I suppose. Then you'd have to define metrics. Experiment. Compare. What are the benchmarks? What are you testing? Boot times might be good to compare, except that "fast boot" isn't really "fast boot", but a form of sleep.

Then, of course, you'd have to consider whether being faster in certain areas is more important that being faster in other areas.

Hard to say.

I can say something about the relative speed and stability of Windows versus Linux with regard to heavy computation envirionments: there is a reason why 95%+ of the world's top 500 supercomputers run Linux. Then you have to ask if that even matters since we're probably talking about PCs here.

Anyway, the question is vague. In what ways is Ubuntu slower than Windows 8? For that matter, what objective measures indicate that Win 8 is faster than Win 7 as often cited?
    Last edited by QIII; August 21st, 2013 at 07:13 AM.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines
    My Blog
    A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans

Well, lets begin our journey around the world with a simple lecture :
    1) The reason why linux is used so much in super pcs is not the speed, but its structure, the fact that linux is just a kernel, and you can add just what you want, whereas windows is made as perfect desktop os or a great server, but there is no version for super computers. Super computers have enough speed from their hundreds of cpus
    2) any cpu tests shows at least about 5 % more speed on windows.
    3) graphically, linux kind of lacks great de, and that makes the most of linux slowness, because visually everything is slower than in windows, and this is the real dealbreaker, not pure cpu tests or something else.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

I understand the concept of the supercomputer... sort of a professional necessity.

I'd love to see your sources, by the way. Particularly with regard to the 5% performance hit.

Not being argumentative. I'm neither a Windows fanboy nor a Linux fanboy. I use both (and UNIX/BSDs).
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines
    My Blog
    A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans

Hi Steve30

What you heard about linux is (in terms of) the computational power, not the graphic response. Regarding the boot speed, you may not have provided enough swap space which is configured as a separate partition during the installation.
    Try installing ubuntu alone on any other machine (be it older/slower than your current machine) and see if you get some speed.

Beans

What I've seen ubuntu has issues with managing the graphic cards resources.
    The desktop environment(unity) uses a lot of memory from the graphic cards,thus,having a low specced graphic cards, makes it look like it is slower the windows.
    For lesser cards are lighter desktop environments like,xfce,lxde.(I've seen the difference).
    In the future this will change since ubuntu is developing they're own display manager(Mir) which,from what I've heard is much better then the acual one(Xorg).
    So to make a short version(in my opinion), ubuntu's desktop environment(at this moment) is like windows vista desktop environment(in terms of video memory use).

TenPlus1 is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

I have had Windows 7 and 8 installed natively on my Acer Aspire Revo as well as Ubuntu 13.04, Xubuntu and Lubuntu and tested each one seperately and found that the best for my needs was Lubuntu 13.04 running propriatary nvidia drivers and tweaking the swappiness and fstab for SSD performance which gave me a very fast, very stable and very easy to use operating system that does anything I ask of it with no problems...

Try all, use what's best for you...

Beans

Most of the linux fanboys are speaking early days of linux and windows back when windows was bluescreen of death OS, but since then they have improved a lot. Huge step was from windows vista -> windows 7. I think linux comes little behind from terms of speed, but it still is more stable OS and way much more customizable than windows. That customization comes with price and that is the speed, if you take lubuntu for example it is lightweight OS and very snappy. Windows has it's own starter package, but there the difference is huge i would take lubuntu any day over windows 7 starter. When the speed crow's in terms of cpu and better graphics card's the speed isn't that noticeable any more to human eye and the differences begin to even out.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by adrian89 View Post
    What I've seen ubuntu has issues with managing the graphic cards resources.
    The desktop environment(unity) uses a lot of memory from the graphic cards,thus,having a low specced graphic cards, makes it look like it is slower the windows.
    For lesser cards are lighter desktop environments like,xfce,lxde.(I've seen the difference).
    In the future this will change since ubuntu is developing they're own display manager(Mir) which,from what I've heard is much better then the acual one(Xorg).
    So to make a short version(in my opinion), ubuntu's desktop environment(at this moment) is like windows vista desktop environment(in terms of video memory use).
    Well that is the whole linux problem, bad optimizations for graphics. xfce and company are very bad des because of lack of simple things like vsync and many others, it's horror. Speed gain from using xfce instead of unity is zero, its maybe little bit faster than gnome or kde (two big bloatware and slow desktops), but the reason for this is not funny - xfce is still staying in 80's with the technologies, and a little bit more modern des are full of bugs and are going through big changes, so we have to wait a few more years to see what is what in linux. Windows always was ahead in this, especially with windows 7/8, graphics performance for desktop is perfect, everything flies, so that where windows speed comes from, user can see everything much faster in windows. And the usage of computer resources is a good thing, thats the whole purpose, you know, like food - you eat it, you dont keep it for years till it starts to smell, its just that linux lacks high level optimizations of resources usage.
    Last edited by howefield; August 21st, 2013 at 09:40 AM.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast