Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Google and RTFM already!

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Google and RTFM already!

Quote Originally Posted by Euroman View Post
    No mutt to read your mail?
    I used pine for a long time, but switched to Netscape Mail in the mid-1990s. When they stopped development, switched to Thunderbird after a few years with MS-Outlook (it was a sad period of work) and SquirrelMail at home.

When I came back, elm, pine, and a few other favorites were not longer working. Tried for 5 minutes to get alpine working ... gave up. That was long ago.

At home, I've had an imap server for well over a decade. Can' imagine ever going back to non-IMAP email.

The the last 3+ yrs, much of my email has been gpg encrypted and the Enigmail extension for Thunderbird is pretty nice for that, although learning how to use pinentry with KeePassX was a little non-obvious.

There is hope for Mutt! Thanks for the idea! I'm very serious.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Trying not to be completely offtopic.. but how did you like Squirrel? I used it when I had shared hosting and it was very, very light weight.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesA View Post
    Trying not to be completely offtopic.. but how did you like Squirrel? I used it when I had shared hosting and it was very, very light weight.
    To me, using Squirrelmail was like having a root canal without any of the drugs.

I just have to deal with too much email to make check, check, check, button-press; next page check, check, check, button-press useful. Perhaps it has been improved?

In 2008-ish, I loaded Zimbra mainly for the enterprise calendaring features. The webmail interface was not the main reason, but it is nice in a pinch. I still use as full a client as possible even with the nice webmail interface.

I hate using a mouse - too slow for stuff like email. Most software that is mouse-centric bothers me, with few exceptions. It is like cutting off a hand with 5 controls for a stump, IMHO.

My Mom had a hard time using webmail with squirrelmail (she was getting email through a brother-in-law running an email server). She was much better off using Thunderbird. Having a mouse interface is good for the first few days as people discover the program, but soon, the keyboard shortcuts are learned and take over for 50% of the people I know. There will always be folks who use the mouse and that is fine, but I'm not in that group.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf

Some things are hard to search for if they involve common phrases.
    Also a lot of search results are for previous Ubuntu versions and are generally of no use.
    Maybe you could develop the ultimate interactive FAQ which scrapes up the answers and eliminates the chaff.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I liked roundcube until I tried squirrel. I use that on all my hosts now, not the most stylish client, but reduces load a fair bit being pure html!
    clear && echo paste url and press enter; read paste; (youtube-dl $paste) | zenity --progress --title="" --text "Downloading, please wait" --auto-close --pulsate && ans=$(zenity --file-selection); gnome-terminal -x mplayer "$ans"

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by TheFu View Post
    To me, using Squirrelmail was like having a root canal without any of the drugs.
    Sounds about right. I think that's why I went with RoundCube for my web mail software. I dunno if it handles keyboard shortcuts or not, but I usually just use the mouse unless I am searching thru messages.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Paqman View Post
    Google yes, but man pages should be avoided like the plague. The only thing I ever find them useful for is if I need to use the command line and have to look up a switch.
    Man pages are great for command-line tools, especially the older generation ones. Generally they suck for GUI programs, but these usually have some form of online help menu.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678