Thread: Why is Ubuntu unity missing some regular text and folder icons on desktop?

Beans

Why is Ubuntu unity missing some regular text and folder icons on desktop?

1) Why is Ubuntu unity missing some regular text and folder icons on desktop? Frustrating! What's frustrating is that it's not missing all regular files and folders, just some. And to drive user crazy, Ubuntu decides to sometimes allow all icons to show up, and sometimes a few are missing with no rhymne or reason! ubuntu 12.04 LTS is updated.
    However, I then go into home folder -> desktop, I see all the icons there, all the time. I looked at my work spaces, and it the icons are not hidden there. Stop releasing buggy software.

2) Where does the unbuntu update files go? I'd like to go and remove the downloaded compress files (I'm okay with the update) so that it doesn't take up my SSD. In theory, if ubuntu keep updating and if users don't look for them, wouldn't it keep eating up diskspace?

Thanks.
    Last edited by webstuffg; August 20th, 2013 at 07:39 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: Why is Ubuntu unity missing some regular text and folder icons on desktop?

Is this still 12.04, or did you upgrade to 12.10 or 13.04?

If you are still on 12.04, try first:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install gconf-editor dconf-editor && gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.background show-desktop-icons true
    if still having problems:
    Code:
    gconftool-2 --recursive-unset /apps/compiz-1
    unity --reset-icons
    unity --reset
    sudo reboot
    Last edited by SweetAurora; August 20th, 2013 at 07:42 AM.
    You are such a sweetheart b-b-baby!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Updates are often only improved replacements for existing files . If a program adds additional features it may result in additional files. An exception would be kernel updates in which the old kernels are not removed and can take up space over time. Old kernels can be removed by the user and some prefer to keep the two latest kernels installed in case of problems with new version.

Stop releasing buggy software.
    If you have a specific bug related to desktop icons file a report at the link. Developers are rare to UF and don't come here to get user feedback, but will respond to bug reports.

https://launchpad.net/
    “Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can".

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Manual

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

to remove the dowloaded updates aka "apt-cache" and remove unsed, old packages do:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get autoremove && sudo apt-get clean && sudo apt-get autoclean
    Edit: Did my fix help you for your icons?
    You are such a sweetheart b-b-baby!

Beans

What is UF? You should have written it out.
    I don't get paid to fix someone's obvious bug. A bunch of needless busy work. I think there ought to be ratings for each component in ubuntu and allow the good ones float to the top.
    There should be some linux laws which bands buggy software.
    I went to a conference on git, the the person's presentation was so horrible that I told him that it's nobody's duty to fix his documents but his! The meeting was a complete waste of time.
    Please add the above to the why I dislike Ubuntu thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Frogs Hair View Post
    Updates are often only improved replacements for existing files . Ifa program adds additional features it may result in additional files. An exception would be kernel updates in which the old kernels are not removed and can take up space over time. Old kernels can be removed by the user and some prefer to keep the two latest kernels installed in case of problems with new version.

If you have a specific bug related to desktop icons file a report at the link. Developers are rare to UF and don't come here to get user feedback, but will respond to bug reports.

https://launchpad.net/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Sounds like you would rather pay for buggy operating systems and software instead of getting them free. You must not have been using computer during the Windows 95 era, woah, talk about buggy operating system, features and software.
    Ubuntu 15.04 - AMD FX-6300 - Asrock 990FX Extreme3 -
    4GB Corsair (other stick died) - Sapphire Radeon R7 265
    Samsung 250GB SSD - 2TB Western Digital HD

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Webstuffg I found no problems with your post. UF is Ubuntu Forums a volunteer organization which has no connection to the with the Ubuntu development staff at Canonical.

I wanted to inform you that bugs are addressed at Launchpad and have to be reported to first before there can be a solution. Many bugs are reported by everyday users in Alpha and Beta phases of development and after the final release as well. This is in addition to Canonicals own testing "Buggy" is not very specific and great numbers of users are not affected by bugs even the known reported ones.
    “Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can".

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Manual