Thread: Repositories for obsolete Ubuntu versions?

Beans

Repositories for obsolete Ubuntu versions?

I reverted back to 10.10 to run Macbuntu and would really like if i could keep this version (love the look and feel of it). Software Center doesn't work however and after Googling for quite some time came to the conclusion that the repositories are out of date and i have no idea what i'm doing to download software now. I went in to the settings and tried scanning for the best repository, but none of them worked (all 361 IIRC).

Can i get by using this old version or am i stuck going back to the new version?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Repositories for obsolete Ubuntu versions?

Dzl210; Hi !

Nope. Not "stuck" but, highly recommended to upgrade your version -> no support on a End Of Life version and NO security updates.
    However, if the need is to remain, I can not answer your quest better than this answer to remain with your current version:
    http://askubuntu.com/questions/91815...ported-release

Exercise care, and happy trails to you
    THE current(cy) in Documentation:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PopularPages

Happy ubuntu'n !

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

You've probably heard this already, but unless you have absolutely no other choice, it is a very bad idea to run obsolete versions. The fact that it is no longer supported means that security holes go unplugged and the likelihood of getting owned increases with each passing day. Remember, it isn't just the OS itself--obsolete apps also lose support--which means that your security risk multiplies with each app you install.

If your objection to the latest releases is based just on preference, then explore some of the other flavours and even alternate distros. Start with this link. Forum members are quite willing to help with suggestions and alternatives.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

If you intend staying with 10.10 I advise keeping the machine offline. It is a security risk.

If the reason you don't want to upgrade is because you don't like Unity, you could always install Xubuntu or Lubuntu. Or install a regular Ubuntu and then a lightweight desktop environment or even Gnome fallback.

Beans

I think i was just talked in to going back to 12.04. I feel like a school girl looking at her first car, Macbuntu looks so cool I want to run it and not care that it's an unreliable POS lol.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

That's probably a good feeling! My advice? Burn off a bunch of CDs and try them all out! You can try them from the disk without installing.

I generally have my main squeeze, an LTS (at the moment Ubuntu 12.04 minimal install with Xfce desktop), for reliabilty and production (my machine must be stable) and a spattering of spare partitions for my 'playthings'. At the moment they are an old 10.10 which is about to be erased, another standard Xubuntu install, Win7, a partition to start playing with Linux From Scratch (LFS), and another which I'm about to install Puppy Linux on.

Try 'em all and then settle with the one (or a blend of the ones) you like/fit best. Is what generally happens. Good luck and have fun. Any more questions, just ask.

PS: You can also run OSs as virtual machines inside the current install, but that is perhaps a little down the track ...

Beans

Have a look HERE for theming later releases like a Mac.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Or take a look at Pear Linux http://pearlinux.fr/, it's a Distro based on Ubuntu and themed like Mac OS just like Macbuntu
    Catch me on Freenode - imark

Beans

Thanks guys, i went with 12.04 and i'll do the work to get it looking like Mac. Doesn't look quite like 10.10 with the Mac theme, but i'll deal with it. I'll probably burn Pear to a Live CD and try it out too.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

You could add XFCE and add docky and stuff to get the bad boy looking like Mac. Anyway, Hope it goes good for you.
    Proverbs 14:15

The simple believeth every word: but the prudent man looketh well to his going.