Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fix NotifyOSD in Ubuntu+1

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Fix NotifyOSD in Ubuntu+1

Quote Originally Posted by quequotion View Post
    I have been using ths PPA for a few years already, but thanks for posting the link in case anyone else needs it.

I think you misunderstood. I don't need help; the bug needs to be fixed. It's been going for years now and all the previous developers will say is that Canonical choose this design and won't accept any changes to it.... that's rediculous, it's a terrible design.
    I think you misunderstood me, there isn't anyone looking after the package, so it won't be fixed until someone takes over as the maintainer. If you want the bug fixed, and you don't need help, why not take over the maintaining of the package yourself, and apply the fix.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Well, I'm confused. If one were to install xfce4-notifyd will it conflict with notify-osd? According to:

tgalati4@Mint14-Extensa ~ $ apt-cache depends xfce4-notifyd
    xfce4-notifyd
    Depends: libc6
    Depends: libcairo2
    Depends: libdbus-1-3
    Depends: libdbus-glib-1-2
    Depends: libgdk-pixbuf2.0-0
    Depends: libglib2.0-0
    Depends: libgtk2.0-0
    Depends: libpango1.0-0
    Depends: libx11-6
    Depends: libxfce4ui-1-0
    Depends: libxfce4util6
    Depends: libxfconf-0-2
    Recommends: libnotify-bin
    Conflicts: xfce4-notifyd:i386
    tgalati4@Mint14-Extensa ~ $ apt-cache depends notify-osd
    notify-osd
    Depends: libatk1.0-0
    Depends: libc6
    Depends: libcairo2
    Depends: libdbus-1-3
    Depends: libdbus-glib-1-2
    Depends: libgdk-pixbuf2.0-0
    Depends: libglib2.0-0
    Depends: libgtk-3-0
    Depends: libpango1.0-0
    Depends: libpixman-1-0
    Depends: libwnck-3-0
    Depends: libx11-6
    |Depends: dconf-gsettings-backend
    Depends: <gsettings-backend>
    dconf-gsettings-backend
    Recommends: notify-osd-icons
    Replaces: notification-daemon
    colibri
    mate-notification-daemon
    notify-osd
    plasma-widgets-workspace
    xfce4-notifyd
    Replaces: notification-daemon:i386
    colibri:i386
    mate-notification-daemon:i386
    notify-osd:i386
    plasma-widgets-workspace:i386
    xfce4-notifyd:i386
    Conflicts: notify-osd:i386

Notify-osd will uninstall xfce4-notifyd but not the otherway around. So, I'm not sure how applications that depend on notify-osd can use xfce4-notifyd. But yea, a simple dialog box to control notify-osd would be helpful.

After looking at all of the different notification frameworks available, my head hurts.
    Last edited by tgalati4; August 20th, 2013 at 11:20 PM.
    -------------------------------------
    Oooh Shiny: PopularPages

Unumquodque potest reparantur. Patientia sit virtus.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by cariboo907 View Post
    I think you misunderstood me, there isn't anyone looking after the package, so it won't be fixed until someone takes over as the maintainer. If you want the bug fixed, and you don't need help, why not take over the maintaining of the package yourself, and apply the fix.
    Isn't there some kind of authority/peer approval required to change packages that are part of ayatana?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by quequotion View Post
    Isn't there some kind of authority/peer approval required to change packages that are part of ayatana?
    Yes there is, if you submit a patch, it has to be approved by one of the developers. BTW, ayatana has fallen by the wayside, and it is now just called unity-desktop.

Beans

I believe you can still add "Ayatana Design" to any bug, whether that gets you anywhere is debatable, "As intended" rules the Ubuntu day.
    (- current example - 1209237, as an aside - note he says " but should also be easy to switch off via a dconf key for the purposes of user testing", - so in that case it's possible one day the dconf key will disappear

In this case I think you're likely beating a dead horse, though users are free to do (modify) as they want or can.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by cariboo907 View Post
    Yes there is, if you submit a patch, it has to be approved by one of the developers. BTW, ayatana has fallen by the wayside, and it is now just called unity-desktop.
    No more Ayatana? It's actually a better name than "Unity" -- way too many things share that name.

There already is a patch in the bug report. I don't know if it's in a bzr branch yet. It'll take me a while to set up, but I'll see if I can get it into one.

It's not a good idea for me to personally take over as maintainer. I don't (yet) have the skills and, after fixing this bug, I doubt that I would dedicate much time to it. I am interested in this issue and I'll do what I can concerning it, but after that I'll be moving on to the next crisis.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by mc4man View Post
    I believe you can still add "Ayatana Design" to any bug, whether that gets you anywhere is debatable
    One of my favorite bugs, a compiz display layering glitch, was "Fix Comitted" and then "Fix Relased" in "Ayatana Design".

The bug hasn't been fixed at all, but the design apparently has. As yet, no one has replied to my inquires as to what that actually means (ie nothing).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12