Thread: Gnome/GPU/window manager crashes — Macbook Air 4,2; Ubuntu 13.04

Gnome/GPU/window manager crashes — Macbook Air 4,2; Ubuntu 13.04

I recently installed 13.04 on my Macbook Air 4,2, largely following the directions provided here (tweaked as necessary for 13.04 and avoiding the wifi driver change). I've generally been enjoying the system, except for ~once daily crashes of the window manager in a couple of different circumstances:

• connecting or disconnecting an external monitor while running
    • waking from suspend
    • resuming from hibernation

I'd estimate that these actions result in a crash 1/4 of the time (specifically, a flash of the normal screen, then switch to black + blinking cursor, then back at the login screen; I once had to dump to tty1 to restart X). I've not been able to catch any useful log information so far, until now! See attached for a portion of the syslog that details what happened when I disconnected my external monitor; this apparently caused the system to think that the built-in LCD was also removed, which preceded a pthread segfault and some fatal gnome-session IO error. This particular crash dumped me back at the login screen.

I've read a number of threads related to video driver issues related to macbook airs, but many/most of them are fairly out of date, and describe much more severe/frequent problems than I'm experiencing. One apparent FAQ is this grub setting; AFAIK, mine is set as necessary (and recommended in the installation guide I followed):

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash i915.i915_enable_rc6=1 resume=/dev/sda3"
    In any case, any troubleshooting assistance would be greatly appreciated; I'd like to eliminate the stress associated with suspending, connecting a monitor, etc. Let me know what further information would be helpful.

- Chas

Last edited by chas-d; August 19th, 2013 at 07:41 PM. Reason: update title to reflect recent bug discovery

Re: Gnome crash — Macbook Air 4,2; Ubuntu 13.04

A minor note; had another X failure, this time clearly caused by a GPU hang. It appears that I am affected by this bug, though this failure was different than others (I had to force a reboot, the screen was frozen, keyboard unresponsive, and I couldn't switch to tty1). My syslog contained these key lines, identical to those noted in the bug:

Aug 19 14:02:55 cle-mba kernel: [36266.624209] [drm:i915_hangcheck_hung] *ERROR* Hangcheck timer elapsed... GPU hung
    Aug 19 14:02:55 cle-mba kernel: [36266.624215] [drm] capturing error event; look for more information in /debug/dri/0/i915_error_state
    So, it looks like I have a bevy of GPU/window manager issues…