Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Xubuntu install offers meaningless suggestion

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf

Xubuntu install offers meaningless suggestion

When you pop in a DVD burned from an Xubuntu installation ISO you get two buttons, which allow you to choose to try Xubuntu or to install it. If you click the second button, to install Xubuntu, the installation starts off after asking a couple of questions. One of the first panels which displays while you're waiting for the installation to run its course suggests that you try using the system you're running to get a feel for the interface, which it says will look very much like the installed system. Why would it say that if you didn't choose the first button (to run the system from the DVD)? I think it would give new users a more confident feeling about the system they're installing if their first impression didn't make it look like the folks who created the installation program were asleep.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Xubuntu install offers meaningless suggestion

You can still play around in the live environment even after the installation is finished..
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans

You should file a bug against ubiquity-slideshow-ubuntu (xubuntu slideshow is included in that package).
    @Charles: is that true even if you do a direct install (and don't start the live environment)? I can't remember.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I'm may be mistaken, but the "install" button loads a minimal live environment which reduces the RAM footprint so that the installation has a better chance of success and will install faster.

If you load the full live environment, it has a larger RAM footprint. You can still install from this environment, but because more RAM is used, any post installation configuration may take longer because it is swapping RAM or competing with the live environment for CPU cycles.

In an ideal world, you would only have one button--load the Live environment, then if you like it, install from that full, live desktop. If you don't have a swap partition (created beforehand by a user who knows what he is doing) and are running from a low-RAM (512 MB) system, then the installation could take a while.

So yes, the button description can be confusing, but then for a new user, the entire installation experience is a trip into the unknown. There are several ways to mess up an installation. I think the button description is appropriate, but then I've done a few installations and even developers need to take a nap now and then.
    -------------------------------------
    Oooh Shiny: PopularPages

Unumquodque potest reparantur. Patientia sit virtus.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Temüjin View Post
    You should file a bug against ubiquity-slideshow-ubuntu (xubuntu slideshow is included in that package).
    Done (thanks for the suggestion): https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...d/+bug/1213933

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by tgalati4 View Post
    So yes, the button description can be confusing, ....
    Sorry if I wasn't clear: it's not the button whose description is confusing, it's the panel which suggests doing something which isn't available (expermimenting with an environment which isn't present - or at least not accessible by any methods I tried).

Beans
    Distro

Just out of curiosity: I noticed that this thread got moved. Why wouldn't "Installation and Upgrades" be the appropriate location, if we're talking about the installation process? Thanks!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bkline View Post
    You filed it against xboard (the chess application).

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by bkline View Post
    Just out of curiosity: I noticed that this thread got moved. Why wouldn't "Installation and Upgrades" be the appropriate location, if we're talking about the installation process? Thanks!
    That forum is about actual installation and upgrade issues.

You're not talking about the installation process - this bug isn't going to cause issues during installation

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

You can always join a development team and then you too can be someone who is asleep. It is a slideshow advertising the product. The slideshow does not run when we select the TRY option. Which would you prefer? A slideshow? Or just a progress bar that seems like it will never reach the end?
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast