Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is it feasable to create a server that spawns virtual machines

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Is it feasable to create a server that spawns virtual machines

Quote Originally Posted by mark_spieth2 View Post
    Absolutely you can. I use Openvz for this, under Redhat, however you should be able to do it under ubuntu as well. Using ansible and the openvz module you can create VM's easily with one command:

ansible VM1 -i hosts/create-mu -m openvz -a "command=create hostname=host.host.com ctid=100 ipadd=10.200.50.10 create_magic=no"

You can then further customize the VM with ansible if needed, or create openvz templates, and use ansible to startup new VM's. It should also work with KVM, although since I don't use KVM all that often I don't know what modules are available to do so, but you can always use ansible to run the KVM creation script. Also look into ubuntu's vmbuilder.
    The virtualization tech doesn't really matter that much. Use whatever you like, but "container-based" VMs will be much, much quicker to start. Xen, KVM, virtualbox, qemu, openvz, lxc ... doesn't matter for a simple Linux guest. If you want to screw around with more advanced network stuff, avoid the containers and setup dedicated bridges for each clientOS under an HVM setup.

+1 on ansible. It is a competitor to Puppet with almost zero client-side requirements. You can be controlling remote systems in 15 minutes. Of course, it will take a week or so to understand the real power of managing systems with ansible. Ansible is a competitor to Rexify, SaltStack, Puppet, Chef, CFengine and old school bash/perl/python scripts.

+1 on virt-manager. It makes using and managing KVM like using virtualbox or vmware-player's GUIs. With libvirt, you can use the CLI interface at any point to manage systems - virsh works locally or on remote VMs. Use virt-manage to setup different, new systems and use virsh to clone and spawn them easily ... other you can use virt-manager for everything in a tiny shop.

I didn't lookup the capabilities for your current machine, but you should be able to run 7+ VMs on that concurrently. I'm running 6 production VMs on a Core2Duo Xtreme with 8G now. Blogs, desktops, Zimbra, Alfresco, and an email gateway are examples. It is fast enough. All KVM.

BTW, I previously used Xen, ESXi, VirtualBox ... each had "issues" of a different sort. ESXi was very picky about hardware. 1/4 of my systems couldn't install ESXi - disk controller was incompatible. VirtualBox would crash after an hour of running a client VM ... without doing anything inside it. Xen would refuse to boot the hostOS about 4 times a year after kernel updates. Client OSes would refuse to boot about 12 times a year, which forced us to fallback to 1 or 2 prior kernel versions to get a booting system.

Been running KVM about 18 months now. I can't think of any issues. No crashes. No funny business at all. It just works. Have 1 Windows VM running inside KVM here - it records TV shows. All the other VMs are Linux ... 10.04, 12.04 .... stay with LTS releases if you want stability.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I've been using Proxmox for my virtualization solution for a few months now and I love it. It makes managing KVM and OpenVZ dead simple.

I was using VirtualBox previously with no issues - but the web frontend I was using was no longer under development, so I decided it was time to move on.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

thanks for your replies, I'm going to try the kvm way first

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12