Thread: SendMail Connection Refused Error

Beans

Question SendMail Connection Refused Error

I upgraded from Ubuntu Server 10.04 to 12.04. Now my php sites are no longer sending mail. When I went in to look at the sendmail mail queue, all of my messages were there.
    When I try to force the queue with debugging (sendmail -v -q), I get the following response.
    Code:
    Running /var/spool/mqueue/r7KC82jb030432 (sequence 19 of 19)<user@domain.com>... Deferred: Connection refused by server.domain.local.domain.com.
    (actual names masked for privacy/security)
    Our SMTP mail server is server.domain.local. How do I get rid of the .domain.com?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: SendMail Connection Refused Error

Support request, not an Ubuntu, Linux and OS Chat thread.

Thread moved to Server Platforms.
    Ubuntu 16.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 14.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - IRC #ubuntuforums

Member: Not Canonical Team

Please do not PM me about your forum account unless you have been asked to. The correct place to contact an admin about your account is here.

Beans

Thank you. Sorry about that. First Ubuntu Forums post.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Steven_Woods View Post
    Our SMTP mail server is server.domain.local. How do I get rid of the .domain.com?
    Usually that indicates that a name in the DNS server's zone files for domain.com is not properly terminated with a dot. Suppose you have

Code:
    @    IN   MX   5 server.domain.local
    Since the fully-qualified domain name does not end with a trailing dot, "server.domain.local.", BIND appends the domain to the host name giving you "server.domain.local.domain.com".

Simply upgrading to 12.04 should not affect any of this, but since DNS resolution changed in 12.04, it might have to do with that. Make sure you are using static addressing on your server, and include the relevant "dns-nameservers" directive in the stanza for eth0 in /etc/networking/interfaces.
    Last edited by SeijiSensei; August 21st, 2013 at 06:31 PM.
    If you ask for help, please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans

I am trying this now. I will let you know the results in a few.
    Thank you!