Thread: USB Sleep And Charge Support In Ubuntu 12.10

Beans

USB Sleep And Charge Support In Ubuntu 12.10

Hi all,

I have a plan to Dual Boot Ubuntu 12.10 with my Samsung Series 5 (NP550PC-S03IN) Laptop With Pre-installed Windows 8 (x64 - Intel Core i7)

As Default, there is a support for Sleep and Charge feature in one of the USB 3.0 Port. Following Questions preventing me in installing Ubuntu in My Laptop

Does Sleep and Charge would work fine if i install ubuntu 12.10 alongside windows 8? i.e., Even when my laptop is shutdown does my mobile can be charged as i did earlier after installing Ubuntu 12.10

Search many threads and forums, there is no clear solutions or technical answer behind this. Would look to get answers whether this is an OS Dependent feature or not.

Awaiting for your support Guys

Thanks,
    Cyb0rgz.
    Last edited by Cyb0rgz; August 14th, 2013 at 05:05 PM.

Beans

Re: USB Sleep And Charge Support In Ubuntu 12.10

That feature is likely controlled by the firmware/BIOS/UEFI on the laptop and doesn't have anything to do with the installed operating system. At least that's the case with my ThinkPad which has a similar feature.

Beans

So, this means USB sleep and charge would work irrespective of the OS. Am i right?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

You can use acpitool to leave parts of the bus on or off during sleep. Search the forums for acpitool for ways to use it. Unless someone has your exact laptop and has tested it, you might be waiting a while for a definitive answer. I have used USB2 ports on a desktop computer (custom Intel motherboard build) and I am able to select which USB port I want to leave powered during sleep to charge an iPod or phone.

Check your BIOS for a switch. It might be labeled: "Allow USB devices to wake from sleep". This is because it requires power to a USB mouse port or keyboard port to allow those devices to wake up the computer instead of the power button.
    Last edited by tgalati4; August 17th, 2013 at 04:11 PM.
    -------------------------------------
    Oooh Shiny: PopularPages

Unumquodque potest reparantur. Patientia sit virtus.