Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Welcome to Grub!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 17.10 Artful Aardvark

Welcome to Grub!

After a fresh install and upgrade of all files I get this displayed on my screen:

Grub is Loading ..
    Welcome to Grub!

Anyone else?

I know it's not much but maybe there is still more fireworks to come LOL

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Welcome to Grub!

Why can't Grub be more like Burg? I don't like Grub...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I noticed both the update to Grub and the welcome messages. The message would be completely different with the addition of "you are"at the front of the message.

Still, on a more serious note, I am curious as to any more important changes/improvements than code to put a Grub loading notice. I suppose it is useful for those users who only have one OS and a Linux one at that. Some think that they do not have Grub because they do not see a menu a menu.

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro

I am assuming then that GRuB is trying to identify itself as a separate entity from Ubuntu as a whole. I'd like to see some action on GRuB with btrfs but that's a whole different topic.

On a more positive note GRuB is a rather unique menuing tool for startups. I don't hear much about lilo anymore.

regards..

Beans
    Distro

i thought that something was different after starting my computer this morning....even restarted a few times to see just what the message was that flashed for a second just before the grub menu displayed.

actually thought i had mistakenly installed something that produced it. glad to hear its not just me, lol

Beans

As I could figure out from google this message exists for a few years so maybe there is a way to disable it somehow.

Beans

I just started getting this after the recent Grub update. It annoys me because I previously had a flicker-free text-free boot sequence with a custom Grub theme, and now I have this ghastly 1990s-era text displayed at boot.

I'm going to assume this cruft is going to disappear before 13.10 final release.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I'm going to assume this cruft is going to disappear before 13.10 final release.
    I would not assume that. I do not think it is coming from Ubuntu developers. I cannot see anything like that message in grub.cfg. This seems to be appearing before grub.cfg is read. If it is a part of Grub that is in the MBR. It will not be going any time soon, if at all.

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

I got the update the other day and was unaffected by it.
    I keep mine custom and so there is never a problem. All I see is this:
    Code:
    cavsfan@cavsfan-MS-7529:~$ grep -e "menuentry " -e "submenu" /boot/grub/grub.cfg | sed 's/^[ \t]*//' | cut -d "'" -f1,2 | nl --starting-line-number=0
         0    menuentry "Precise Pangolin 12.04" {
         1    menuentry "Precise Pangolin 12.04 (Recovery Mode)" {
         2    menuentry "Quantal Quetzal 12.10" {
         3    menuentry "Quantal Quetzal 12.10 (Recovery Mode)" {
         4    menuentry "Raring Ringtail 13.04" {
         5    menuentry "Raring Ringtail 13.04 (Recovery Mode)" {
         6    menuentry "Saucy Salamander 13.10" {
         7    menuentry "Saucy Salamander 13.10 (Recovery Mode)" {
         8    menuentry "Linux Mint 13 Nadia" {
         9    menuentry "Linux Mint 13 Nadia (Recovery Mode)" {
        10    menuentry "Linux Mint 15 Olivia" {
        11    menuentry "Linux Mint 15 Olivia (Recovery Mode)" {
        12    menuentry "Windows 7" {
    Or this: 20130529_110744.jpg

I did receive notification that /etc/grub.d/05_debian_theme and /etc/default/grub had changed and I took the newer versions of the files. I just made sure I edited them both before I rebooted.
    The one thing that changed as far as this method of customization is that the font colors had to be moved to after line 117. As mentioned in this post.

The action of installing the updates installed grub on my Saucy install which is why I fixed it. I generally keep grub installed on another install besides the development version but have never had an issue when it was on that install.
    Without customizing grub like when I initially install from an ISO the other installs are messed up even though I only have one swap file.

I generally just boot into Lucid, my main install which is usually in 640x480 instead of the normal 1900x1200 so I install grub there (sudo grub-install /dev/sda) and then reboot and put grub on which ever install I want it on.
    Although it is fine to leave it on Saucy to avoid having to move grub around.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by grahammechanical View Post
    I would not assume that. I do not think it is coming from Ubuntu developers. I cannot see anything like that message in grub.cfg. This seems to be appearing before grub.cfg is read. If it is a part of Grub that is in the MBR. It will not be going any time soon, if at all.

Regards.
    I am reminded now that the "Welcome to GRuB" message is a percursor to a fail and entering in of <grub rescue prompt. So I have no idea what is going on with the exception that the boot is not failing.

regards..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast