Thread: I have a duplicate account; please help.

Hybrid View

Beans

I have a duplicate account; please help.

Hi there.

ubuntuforums created a new account for me instead of linking my login.ubuntu.com account with my existing forum account. My original username is foresto and the profile is here:

http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=70037

I would like to delete this foresto2 account and associate my login account with my original "foresto" forum account, please.

Thank you.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: I have a duplicate account; please help.

You created the new account by not using the same e-mail address for login.ubuntu.com as you had previously used for the forum.

PM me with the e-mail address for your original foresto account and we can look to sorting out your issue.

Beans

Of course I did. Using different email addresses and passwords on different sites is one of the few protections we have when account databases are compromised.

PM sent.

Beans

Done.

And yes, I read that sticky despite the fact that it's in a completely separate forum area, subtly linked as a "you may wish to read" footnote in this one. Unfortunately, I didn't find it until I went looking for solutions after noticing that the duplicate account was created. Since it specifically says that the point of changing one's email address is so the accounts will be linked automatically, and I was already past the point where that would have happened, there seemed to be no reason to bother changing them. If we users are still expected to change our email addresses even after the duplicate account has been created, someone probably ought to update the language of that post and make it more prominent in the problem resolution instructions.

Anyway, my SSO email address is changed now. Ready when you are.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Did you read the bit of the sticky that specifically says

Please ensure that your preferred email address on https://login.ubuntu.com matches that associated with your Ubuntu Forums account. This way your accounts will be linked automatically. It does not matter if your forum and Ubuntu One account usernames are different; the match is done by email address only and if you have a current forum account, the forum username will not change.
    When you've set login.ubuntu.com to be the same as the forum - then post back here to let us know and we will get you access to your previous account.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Tryr logging out and in again please.