Thread: shell logging

Beans

shell logging

Could you please suggest a tool or a procedure for shell logging. I would like to capture all the shell activity for all the users including root for all the shells ( bash, sh, ksh ....)

Thanks,

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

script

I would look at using script in some capacity. What problem are you trying to solve?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: shell logging

You could write a cronjob to capture .bash_history for each user. You would need to set an environment variable to get time stamps in the history file. Root actions are stored in /var/log/auth.log.

If you can elaborate on your specific use case, then there are probably better methods. What are you trying to do?
    -------------------------------------
    Oooh Shiny: PopularPages

Unumquodque potest reparantur. Patientia sit virtus.

Beans

I would like to have all the commands executed by the users in bash shell in a single file for monitoring purpose.

Thanks,

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

If you use the bash history, you should look at setting the 'shopt -s histappend' and 'cmdhist' options so that multiple sessions can be recorded concurrently and in a coherent manner.

However, even with script, mentioned above, you are still going to be depending on the cooperation from the shell users. The users will still be able to erase or edit the history file or the script log. If you need something more hostile, then maybe the package auditd might have something, but I haven't used it.

Beans

Thanks for the suggestions.