Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: Stale Page?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Florida
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Stale Page?

    I am trying to log into the forums using the new procedure (I have already been here previously, re-established the account, etc.) but, in Firefox, I keep receiving the following error message:

    Your page was stale.

    Apologies, the page you came from was a little old. Perhaps you navigated here from a browser window other
    than the one you used to login. If so, try using the other browser window. Or, try your action again, starting
    from our home page.


    I have cleared the cookies and history but still nothing. I have closed any page remotely related to ubuntu.com or ubuntuforums.com and cleared the cache but still nothing. Even inputting the URL directly (so to eliminate the "the page you came from" problem) did no good.

    I am able to log in using Chromium but don't really like this browser.

    Anybody else have this problem? Anybody know how this can be fixed? I really don't like having to open another browser just to visit the forums.
    Lee

    "Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened." - Sir Winston Churchill

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Williams Lake
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Stale Page?

    This is a known problem with Firefox, because we use a combination of http and https during the login process. Canonical IS is aware of the problem, and it will be fixed when they get around to it.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Florida
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: Stale Page?

    Thanks for the quick answer. I appreciate it. I do hope they do see this as important, although your answer doesn't lead me to believe that. (I currently have a problem with the menu in Ubuntu 12.04 LTS -- which is supposed to be supported until near the end of 2017 -- but the problem was only fixed for the versions going forward; they said they won't fix the problem in 12.04 LTS. Oh well....)

    It would be great though if this was put into the stickys in the forum and at Ubuntu One, which is where I checked first. It might help others.

    Thanks again.
    Lee

    "Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened." - Sir Winston Churchill

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Funky Town, AUS
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

    Re: Stale Page?

    Quote Originally Posted by LeeU View Post
    (I currently have a problem with the menu in Ubuntu 12.04 LTS -- which is supposed to be supported until near the end of 2017 -- but the problem was only fixed for the versions going forward; they said they won't fix the problem in 12.04 LTS. Oh well....)
    Not sure who 'they' are but perhaps you can try posting in the forums regarding this, if you haven't already. If there's not a fix, there could be a workaround (like using a more recent kernel in 12.04 LTS, entirely do-able).

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Florida
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: Stale Page?

    Thanks for the reply. Nice to know someone is listening.

    It was reported over in the bugs section of the launchpad. I have resigned myself to live with it; it's not really a big deal, it's just a dividing line in the menu but it is the point of it. And I understand it's a Gnome bug. It just seems that it should have been fixed for 12.04 LTS instead of the next version going forward.

    You mentioned using a more recent kernel in 12.04 LTS. I currently have 3.2.0-51-generic-pae but now I see that there is a newer version. Why wouldn't I have received a notice of it? I am set-up to receive notice of all security updates immediately and others daily. (Forgive me; I have used Linux for 8+ years and am finally beginning to get deeper into the technical aspect of it.)
    Lee

    "Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened." - Sir Winston Churchill

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Beans
    898

    Re: Stale Page?

    In 12.04 you have a choice of three kernel series: 3.2.x, 3.5.x and 3.8.x. You only get update notices if you install the appropriate metapackage(s): linux-generic (for 3.2.x), linux-generic-lts-quantal (for 3.5.x) or linux-generic-lts-raring (for 3.8.x).

    (I think the above is accurate, but someone else should confirm it.)

    I'm using 3.8.0-27 on 12.04, and have no problems with it.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    UK
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

    Re: Stale Page?

    Keep on-topic, please. This thread is about a stale page message in Firefox when trying to log into the forums, NOT about the menu or any other matters to do with Ubuntu 12.04. We need to see if others are experiencing the OP's original problem and will not be able to do so if the thread is submerged in off-topic chatter.

    @LeeU, your problem may or may not be related to the issue cariboo907 mentioned. Since I have never seen this myself, use Firefox, log into the forum several times a day, and don't recall others mentioning it, I think it is more likely to be a problem in your browser itself. You might want to try setting a new profile in Firefox and seeing if the problem persists in the new profile. I've never had the need to do this myself but I believe this is how you set a new profile:

    https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb...refox-profiles

    Also...

    @LeeU, a point of information. Canonical IS, who are the sysadmin team responsible for maintaining all the servers owned by Canonical +software running on them, are not the same as the Ubuntu dev team who are responsible for fixing bugs in Ubuntu. Your expression of non-belief based on the progress or lack of it of a single bug in Launchpad is a non-sequitur.
    Ubuntu 16.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 14.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - IRC #ubuntuforums

    Member: Not Canonical Team

    Please do not PM me about your forum account unless you have been asked to. The correct place to contact an admin about your account is here.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Beans
    Hidden!

    Re: Stale Page?

    Quote Originally Posted by LeeU
    Your page was stale.
    Same here, unless I enable "sendRefererHeader".
    Usually sendRefererHeader is set to "0" in my config, however to log in to this forum I need to change it to "2" in about:config (network.http.sendRefererHeader), once logged in I change it back to "0".

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Hyperborea
    Beans
    1,989
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf

    Re: Stale Page?

    Quote Originally Posted by d2btoo View Post
    Same here, unless I enable "sendRefererHeader".
    Usually sendRefererHeader is set to "0" in my config, however to log in to this forum I need to change it to "2" in about:config (network.http.sendRefererHeader), once logged in I change it back to "0".
    I'm not sure about that.
    I use the add-on "RefControl" set to fake all Referers and do not have login problems.

    In about:config the settings are:

    network.http.sendRefererHeader;2
    network.http.sendSecureXSiteReferrer;true

    I'm using FF 23.0 on Ubunti 12.10

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Florida
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: Stale Page?

    Quote Originally Posted by coffeecat View Post
    @LeeU, your problem may or may not be related to the issue cariboo907 mentioned. Since I have never seen this myself, use Firefox, log into the forum several times a day, and don't recall others mentioning it, I think it is more likely to be a problem in your browser itself. You might want to try setting a new profile in Firefox and seeing if the problem persists in the new profile. I've never had the need to do this myself but I believe this is how you set a new profile: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb...refox-profiles
    I don't really see any use in creating a new profile when it worked just fine after the forum was brought back up and I went through all the security steps and was in and out of the forum several times after that. AND I have a forum admin telling me there IS a problem they are aware of and are trying to fix. I DO believe that if they are trying to fix something on the forums -- AND they have told their admins about it (though they should inform the mods also) -- that it will eventually be fixed.

    Quote Originally Posted by coffeecat View Post
    @LeeU, a point of information. Canonical IS, who are the sysadmin team responsible for maintaining all the servers owned by Canonical +software running on them, are not the same as the Ubuntu dev team who are responsible for fixing bugs in Ubuntu. Your expression of non-belief based on the progress or lack of it of a single bug in Launchpad is a non-sequitur.
    I never said anything about "the servers owned by Canonical +software running on them" nor anything about their system admins. I was talking abut the Ubuntu SOFTWARE itself, the operating system on MY computer. Why would the company that offers the software be completely different from those who develop it? And why would a company that offers the software make a claim of long term support but then say they have nothing to do with it?

    Thanks everyone for your help.
    Lee

    "Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened." - Sir Winston Churchill

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •