Thread: [vncserver] error opening security policy file /etc/X11/xserver/SecurityPolicy

Beans

Exclamation [vncserver] error opening security policy file /etc/X11/xserver/SecurityPolicy

I try to start vncserver

Code:
    $vncserver
    Starting applications specified in /home/user1/.vnc/xstartup
    Log file is /home/user1/.vnc/home1:1.log
    Inside /home/user1/.vnc/home1:1.log I find

Code:
    error opening security policy file /etc/X11/xserver/SecurityPolicy
    How can I fix it?

P.S.
    content of my ~/.vnc/xstartup was
    Code:
    #!/bin/sh

# Uncomment the following two lines for normal desktop:
    #unset SESSION_MANAGER
    # exec /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc

[ -x /etc/vnc/xstartup ] && exec /etc/vnc/xstartup
    [ -r $HOME/.Xresources ] && xrdb $HOME/.Xresources
    xsetroot -solid grey
    vncconfig -iconic &
    x-terminal-emulator -geometry 80x24+10+10 -ls -title "$VNCDESKTOP Desktop" &
    x-window-manager &
    Following http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...98#post9324498 I modified it to
    Code:
    #!/bin/sh

# Uncomment the following two lines for normal desktop:
    unset SESSION_MANAGER
    unset DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS
    # exec /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc

[ -x /etc/vnc/xstartup ] && exec /etc/vnc/xstartup
    [ -r $HOME/.Xresources ] && xrdb $HOME/.Xresources
    xsetroot -solid grey
    vncconfig -iconic &
    x-terminal-emulator -geometry 80x24+10+10 -ls -title "$VNCDESKTOP Desktop" &
    x-window-manager &
    and restarted the Xserver by executing
    Code:
    sudo service lightdm restart
    then I executed
    Code:
    vncserver
    again, but that doesn't seem to have any effect on the content of ~/.vnc/xstartup

Beans

Re: [vncserver] error opening security policy file /etc/X11/xserver/SecurityPolicy

up

Beans

Re: [vncserver] error opening security policy file /etc/X11/xserver/SecurityPolicy

What version of Ubuntu, and which variety and version of vncserver (vnc4server? tightvncserver?)?

A bit of googling seems to suggest that error is not necessarily fatal - can you see a running (or listening) vnc process?

FYI "the Xserver" that's run by lightdm shouldn't affect "the Xserver" that's run by vncserver (it's not a 'desktop sharing' kind of vnc)

Beans

steeldriver, thank you for your reply.

The error was indeed not fatal: I was able to connect to the desktop using "screen sharing" application.

However, when I connected, I didn't see the usual gnome panel, the usual background picture and the open skype window (that was open on the desktop) - just grey background and a terminal window open.
    Furthermore, I started the gnome-panel and tried to turn off the computer remotely. It didn't work, although I checked the parameter "let other users to view your desktop" and "allow other users to control your desktop" remotely.

What should I do to remotely connect "properly"?

> What version of Ubuntu, and which variety and version of vncserver (vnc4server? tightvncserver?)?

ubuntu 12.04 lts

I'm not sure what version of vncserver I'm running (I start it with the command vncserver)
    ps -e | grep vnc returns nonzero time for Xvnc4
    ps -e | grep light returns zero time for lightdm
    Last edited by van5; March 21st, 2015 at 11:00 PM.

Beans

It sounds like you should be using the default 'Desktop Sharing' server (vino-server) instead of vncserver - vncserver is for running standalone X sessions and requires you to specify the details of the session separately in a ~/.vnc/xstartup file (else you get the default gray screen that you are describing)

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by steeldriver View Post
    It sounds like you should be using the default 'Desktop Sharing' server (vino-server) instead of vncserver - vncserver is for running standalone X sessions and requires you to specify the details of the session separately in a ~/.vnc/xstartup file (else you get the default gray screen that you are describing)
    Thank you for the reply. I tried vino and x11vnc - they fail with different types of mistakes.

However, it seems vncserver works - it shows grey screen with the terminal. Can someone please help me configure it?

Update: gnome-classic seemed to work
    https://askubuntu.com/questions/1723...-on-boot-12-04