Thread: 3d modeling

Beans

3d modeling

Does anyone know any good 3d modeling utilities that are both free to use AND sell games that had models made from it? I would prefer something with lots of how to videos as I am new to this. Correct me if I am wrong, but most any rendering software use the same model format?

Re: 3d modeling

Blender probably one of my all time favourite programs. Lots of instructional videos available through the site for all the different features within the program. Includes a built in games engine that you can use through a tool box and also create Python scripts to attach to assets. Allows import/export of many different model types.

One disadvantage to it is that almost everyone I have shown this program before has complained about the difficulty of using the interface. However one of the recent releases was centred on altering it so that it is more like 3dmax in its initial view. Personally I would learn the old way of interacting with it as it is much more productive.

Give it a try.
    Noli illegitimi carborundum

Re: 3d modeling

Quote Originally Posted by amir2 View Post
    ... Correct me if I am wrong, but most any rendering software use the same model format?
    Sorry missed this bit. Not really. Most modelling programs will have their own format but also provide conversion utilities. .obj is a fairly basic format supported by just about all modellers. .blend is the format from blender but that will include animations, materials and everything else in your scene. If you want to export a model you would do that through a plugin (which there are lots of)
    Last edited by leg; August 18th, 2013 at 10:22 AM.
    Noli illegitimi carborundum