Thread: Opening a download that is a .tar.gz file

Beans

Opening a download that is a .tar.gz file

I downloaded OpenOffice (had some probs w/ LibreOffice) and it comes as a .tar.gz file. How do I open and install this program?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Opening a download that is a .tar.gz file

Hi ronmlinux.

That is a compress file, much like a zip file. Start by right clicking on the file and select 'Extract here'

After that, I don't know. There's no standard for installing packages downloaded from the Internet. They usually will include specific instructions in one or several text files. Look for files named 'README', 'Instructions', 'Installation', etc.

Hope it helps.
    Regards.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

You can just click the tar.gz file and it should open up to show you what is inside (just like a zip file). If you clicked the download button on the homepage though, you have an RPM instead of a .deb file. Go here: http://www.openoffice.org/download/other.html and choose the the .deb download (32 or 64 bit).

Once you have that, just open the download and then double click the .deb file. There is a PPA to install through apt-get as well but this should work for you.

ibjsb4 is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans

I find OpenOffice in the software center. Your ubuntu version does not have it there?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ibjsb4 View Post
    I find OpenOffice in the software center. Your ubuntu version does not have it there?
    FWIW, running on 13.04, I don't see OpenOffice in the software-center. Synaptic has a few thesaurus and hyphenation packages for non-US English and a few foreign languages.

Thanks for the link, Kevin!
    http://folding.extremeoverclocking.c...avital&t=45104
    "I fear the day technology will surpass our human interaction. The world will have a generation of idiots."
    ― Albert Einstein

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I guess they don't bother to maintain openoffice package in the repos once the move to libreoffice was made.

Beans

You have to remove all the LibreOffice stuffs if you want to install openoffice or you will have conflicts.