Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Taming of the Unity (a recommendations)

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: The Taming of the Unity (a recommendations)

Here's the deal for me.

It borked the use of *Compiz Negative*, (the functions you used to have for Gnome2 and still have for MATE DE).

Is that function back and working in Unity DE?
    One Psychiatrist's Definition of Insanity: Knowing what one should do and doing differently.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by buzzingrobot View Post
    Someday, maybe, I'll understand why a panel -- a horizontal row of icons -- is so much better than a dock -- a vertical row of icons.

I am, though, in no real hurry to get there.
    Personal preference, but the vertical dock is ugly. And there's no good way to get rid of it.
    Last edited by montag dp; August 16th, 2013 at 04:32 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by r_avital View Post
    Absolutely true. If one existed.

The only thing that comes close (other than alternatives like xubuntu or mint, which have their own issues), is Gnome-Fallback. And fallback is, after all, fallback. No one knows how much longer it will be supported. No one has been able to tell me if it will even be included in the next LTS.
    Have you tried KDE? You can probably install one your current system with the package kubuntu-desktop.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by montag dp View Post
    Personal preference, but the vertical dock is ugly. And there's no good way to get rid of it.
    Looks a LOT nicer (to my eye...anyway) if you reduce it's size to 38 pixels...that is what i have mine set on (and to autohide of course) and i think it looks rather cool like that...
    I didn't like the way it looks at the default size, either...

I set sensitivity up about 2 notches and it seems pretty smooth to bring it out of auto hide and i use radiance instead of the default ambiance, for more of a "mac" like look...
    For me...perfect!
    Last edited by craig10x; August 16th, 2013 at 05:33 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by craig10x View Post
    Looks a LOT nicer (to my eye...anyway) if you reduce it's size to 38 pixels...that is what i have mine set on (and to autohide of course) and i think it looks rather cool like that...
    I didn't like the way it looks at the default size, either...
    Maybe so. Personally, I think Unity would benefit if there were some more basic configuration options for the dock. For instance, an "Intellihide" option like Docky has, where it only hides if the current window is covering it, or an option to always be hidden unless Super is pressed (the way Gnome Shell's dock behaves), or to remove it completely if someone prefers to use a different dock. I would like Unity a lot more if you could do those things. That, and I'd also have to get rid of the ugly orange theme, lol.

Beans

Maybe so. Personally, I think Unity would benefit if there were some more basic configuration options for the dock. For instance, an "Intellihide" option like Docky has, where it only hides if the current window is covering it, or an option to always be hidden unless Super is pressed (the way Gnome Shell's dock behaves),.
    Actually the intelhide option used to exist (dodge window) and it was removed because "it will be confusing to the average user". IMO anyone who would be "confused" is definitely not "average". I think it was a really nice feature, for a while there was a hack to get it back from a ppa but it has stopped working for newer versions of Unity. Strange thing is I watched a recent demo of the Unity phone, and the launcher bar does have this feature. Incidentally this option is available to gnome-shell from an addon. The Unity bar can be made to always hidden, it is exposed by moving the mouse to the left edge.

Overall I like Unity, my only problem is the global menu. this is quite stupid on a reasonably large screen. You can remove it, but in 13.04 that would remove Nautilus' file menu as well, it may be a bug or maybe gnome's doing.
    Last edited by monkeybrain20122; August 16th, 2013 at 06:32 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by buzzingrobot View Post
    Someday, maybe, I'll understand why a panel -- a horizontal row of icons -- is so much better than a dock -- a vertical row of icons.
    In this particular case:

1. Because the horizontal row of icons, which is what a panel used to be, could be at the top, or bottom, or, believe it or not, vertical, on the left, or the right -- will miracles ever cease??? But the new "improved" dock -- it's Henry Ford's Model T, you can have it in any color you want as long as it's black. Left edge. Only. Nowhere else. And you, the community of users responsible for making the OS so popular, can go pound sand.
    2. Because the panel -- now that we know it's not exclusively horizontal -- could contain icons for launching apps, or for a menu that was 90% configurable by a reasonably intelligent newbie, or status notirications, or an indicator section with a bunch of applet/indicators, or a windows-list, or any/all of the above. But the dock -- you have to paint your nose and edit files to put what you want in it, or supidly launch one app after the other and right-click on the icon that magically appears, and select "lock to launcher" which is really, really lame, and forget it if it's something you launched from a terminal.
    3. Because the panel, you could have one, two three, eight, as many as you wanted. You could set them up as you pleased, each with its individual size, background color, background image, transparency and hiding/unhiding settins, if you were inclined to do all that work. But the dock? Nada. It is what it is. Color, hide/unhide, and transparency, That's it. Go pound sand.

And that's when this Earth-shattering, world-changing walk-on-water, feed-the-hungry, cancer-curing dock actually works, because on this end, it doesn't unhide when I want it to, and it doesn't stay transparent when it's supposed to.

Well, you asked

So no, it's not Same Difference. It's almost enough to drive someone back to @$%#@in' Windows 7, or even XP. There's more, but you get the idea.

The point is, less options/functionality != upgrade.
    http://folding.extremeoverclocking.c...avital&t=45104
    "I fear the day technology will surpass our human interaction. The world will have a generation of idiots."
    ― Albert Einstein

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by whatthefunk View Post
    Have you tried KDE? You can probably install one your current system with the package kubuntu-desktop.
    Thanks for the suggestion. Yes, I have, on a full-blown kubuntu install rather than just kde desktop over ubuntu. It's very nice, but also very distracting, and very demanding in terms of resources and system footprint. This is not a put-down, it works well for many, more power to them.
    "I fear the day technology will surpass our human interaction. The world will have a generation of idiots."
    ― Albert Einstein

Beans

Well, there is, you just disable the unity plugin in compiz, but then you also lose the top panel, and thereby you lose all your application menus, because under gnome3, you cannot activate application menus. They're all suppsed to be on the "unifying" top panel that is active only with Unity.

And yes, it looks a bit better with smaller icons.

Here's what I just found out on that:

sudo apt-get purge unity-tweak-tool, and the unity plugin in compiz will let you reduce the icons all the way to 8 pixles (24 pixels would be reasonable for me). But if you need to use the unity-tweak-tool for other configurations that have little or nothing to do with unity, it will force them back to the minimum size unity accepts in the "launcher" configuration, which is 32.

This is not a tragedy, but just indicates that one development team or developer doesn't know what the other is doing. Par for the course, I suppose.
    ― Albert Einstein

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I thought about checkin out Unity, but it has always seemed to be marketed at relative morons or at best would be better suited to a tablet. I'd rather wade through the process of getting to know a different distro (fedora, arch, even gentoo) than try to adapt to Unity. Thankfully, my personal favorite DE, LXDE, is a fully supported official flavor of Ubuntu. All the perks of the Ubuntu support and massive repository with the lighweight, straightforward greatness that is LXDE.
    HP Pavilion dv6, Core i3-3110M, 6GB RAM, nVIDIA Geforce GT 650M, 640GB HDD: Win10 / Haven't-decided-untu 16.04 64bit

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast