Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best phone to add Ubuntu OS on? Any Pre-paid phones?

Beans

Re: Best phone to add Ubuntu OS on? Any Pre-paid phones?

It looks to me like it is still happening! Patience folks!

Beans

As said before Ubuntu touch is based on the android operating system and requires a build of the CyanogenMod 10.1 ROM which is available for many phones, the android OS is needed as Ubuntu touch uses the Linux kernal from android, and also OpenGL, stagefright and RILD.

Beans

I installed Ubuntu Touch on an old Samsung Galaxy Nexus (Unlocked, GSM from Google) and have been playing with it for a couple days now. Obviously, UT is still in developer preview, so take any commentary with that in mind. It seems a bit sluggish on the GN, which is running on 1GB RAM. I think it would probably run better on 2GB, but I'm not going to buy a Nexus 4 just to find out. Aside from that, it seems to be coming along nicely...much better than when I tried it several months ago anyway. Many features still don't work, but I'm going to reserve judgement until after the 17 October release.

As far as hardware, from what I understand it is only officially supported on Nexus devices, but there has been work done on porting UT to other Android devices as well, including the Samsung Galaxy SIII (but not the IV). I've got a no-contract T-Mobile SIM card in mine right now, and everything works (phone, text, data).

Not sure if that answered your question or not, but good luck.

Beans

I also tried Ubuntu touch on my galaxy nexus. I removed it after 1 hour. it is way too slow to be usable.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by callumpears0n View Post
    As said before Ubuntu touch is based on the android operating system and requires a build of the CyanogenMod 10.1 ROM which is available for many phones, the android OS is needed as Ubuntu touch uses the Linux kernal from android, and also OpenGL, stagefright and RILD.
    seriously where are you getting this from and why are you pushing it so hard?

Ubuntu touch does NOT require android!

try http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ubuntu_Touch

Beans

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Touch/Devices Apparently all of these have been tested working! Hmmmm.... It seems though as there are more supported Devices that should be listed...

Beans

I'm not 100% sure either, but I did apparently read more than callumpears0n and possibly others did. Should read information fully before replying to something.
    The early version, as I understand it, was not based on Android, but used Android libraries. It was also, as someone else mentioned, hardly functional and slow, it was (as it said if you read on!) only a developer preview and known to have these issues. Going forward, as much if not all Android stuff will be stripped out. It is UBUNTU, not ANDROID, Ubuntu 14.x as I understand it will be for phone, tablet, or desktop, doesn't matter. Also, don't confuse Ubuntu for Phones with Ubuntu for Android, the latter will be a dual boot ability between Android and Ubuntu.
    And the huge advantage of Ubuntu over any other Smartphone OS that most miss is FULL UBUNTU DESKTOP when docked. This could not be achieved if it were based on Android, etc. Imagine no more need for laptops, desktops, etc. Just a dock at your desk, when you drop in your phone, you get a FULL desktop (not some poor attempt like the other mobile OS' have done) operating system, external mouse, keyboard, monitor.... As a developer myself, I've dreamed of that day. My phone, a dock at work, and a dock at home. Yes, there's the newer Windows that has a "full desktop", but come on, it sucks, most un-user friendly OS for a long time, still requires too much from hardware. Most of the world has said so, and 8.1, etc have not fixed the issues people have voiced.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

I think basing the images of off Android (CM) images served multiple purposes, including, but not limited to:
    - Usage of available binary blobs needed to use the available hardware
    - Usage of Android tools while Ubuntu replacements are prepared. One example: Surfaceflinger.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12