Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What flavor of Linux?

Beans

What flavor of Linux?

I have a new laptop computer on the way. I am going to start teaching myself programming (and eventually go to grad school). I am going to set it up as a dual boot machine Win8/*Linux. What flavor of Linux would support my new needs? I'm still not excellent with CL in ubuntu but I'd like to learn more. My priorities are usability and stability, I don't want to be changing things around too much, a distro that come with or can be changed to GNOME would be preferable.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: What flavor of Linux?

For stability in the Ubuntu Camp, version 12.04 will suffice. it will get 5 years of support so no need to constantly upgrade to the next release or anything and it is fairly stable. As for the Ubuntu desktops, XFCE (Xubuntu) has a gnome-like interface so Xubuntu 12.04 would be good.

As for other Linux Distros, For stability and a good Gnome experience, try Debian. It is rock solid and stable and is supported for very long periods of time. Be aware it could take some time to setup as it takes a bit of know-how to get everything running and installed. Other good, but not as stable, but still usable distros you could use are Fedora, OpenSuSE, and Mangeia. All of which have Gnome Support but take more setup to use, like Debian does.
    You are such a sweetheart b-b-baby!

Beans
    Hidden!

I would suggest Ubuntu 12.04.2 LTS 64-bit. It is a long time support version and it is more stable and polished than the newest versions. It is also possible to select a gnome shell desktop environment instead of the default Unity. (Unity uses gnome).

Beans

I was just chatting with a rep from Lenovo and said the computer doesn't support 64 bit software. but I'm not sure I believe them. it comes with a corei7 4700MQ. none of the specs on the chip I've found state one way or the other.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

that a CPU that supports 64 bit OS. in fact i think all dual cores support 64 bit and also some old single core CPU.

i hope you made sure the laptop is compaitble with ubuntu. you will probably need to read about UEFI and secure boot (especially if it comes windows 8 preloaded).

Ubuntu uses Gnome. but witha unity shell. i am not sure what you want. if oyu want old Gnome 2 then it's better to use Xubuntu.

then again i don't know what is wrong with KDE. I eman for someone that likes to learn stuff and fiddle arroudn with things. Gnome is known for hiding features to users, so it's easier to use it. It doesn't overwhelm the user with options. and i believe it did a good job with gnome2 in that. i am not sure hwo well Unity or Gnome shell are doing in this respect sice i haven't sued themin a while. but i am sure they are doing well since they seem easy to use from what i read about them.

besides there is so many windows managers and desktops to choose from...
    Easy to understand Ubuntu manual with lots of pics: http://ubuntu-manual.org/
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    User friendly disk backup (suitable for older PCs): Redobackup Less friendly disk backup (works on new PC): Clonezilla

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

There alot of distos, it all depends on your hardware and what you want.

If i was going to go for stability and usability, i'd agreed with sudodus Ubuntu 12.04LTS is your best bet. I personally like the Unity desktop, if its not your thing, my personal Gnome favourite is Xubuntu, very clean and comfortable.

A bit of friendly advice, go out to a dollar/pound shop and buy a rack of CD-Rs, burn some live CD's of favourite candiates and test them out on the CD.

However since your doing dual-boot along side windows 8 id look into this: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UEFI

Ubuntu has problems booting with UEFI, luckily all of have been addressed and can be avoided/fixed with a bit of reading.

Hope you enjoy.
    Boab1993

Beans

I read through the Wikipedia article on UEFI and it doesn't raise any red flags in my mind. I was unaware that there were significant changes to boot processes. I'll burn that bridge when I come to it. Does 12.04 still work with WUBI and Win8?
    Last edited by jason13; August 14th, 2013 at 08:22 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

As far as i know Wubi is being phased out, or well so ive heard on other threads.

The Wubi download says 'please install..directly to its own partition' - my assumption is, it is possible, just not advised.
    http://www.ubuntu.com/download/deskt...dows-installer

Im sure someone else can shed some more light on the subject, ive never used Wubi so don't know the in's and out's.

Happy hunting.
    Boab1993

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by jason13 View Post
    Does 12.04 still work with WUBI and Win8?
    12.04 and wubi work with Windows 7 and previous versions, but the newest versions of Ubuntu have given up wubi, because it was not possible to make wubi work with UEFI and Windows 8.

You need the 64-bit version for UEFI. Please read what you can find about it before trying to install a dual boot system, you can start with this link

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UEFI

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Boab1993 View Post
    A bit of friendly advice, go out to a dollar/pound shop and buy a rack of CD-Rs, burn some live CD's of favourite candiates and test them out on the CD.
    Don't do this, it is wasteful and slow/frustrating. Instead, get a couple of 1gb+ thumbdrives, iso images can quickly be put in those these days, and at the end of the day, you can still re-use the thumbdrives later for data moving instead of producing a rack of coasters you won't use again.

I would recommend one of the Ubuntu derivatives, ie. Zorin to ease transition from windows or Linux Mint (Cinnamon). If you want the classic gnome experience, get one with Mate; if you want the new tablet like thing, ubuntu gnome i believe. Lubuntu and Xubuntu are good choices too, just try them for a while, most can run off the iso without installing and decide yourself.

Ubuntu (Desktop) itself is rapidly detaching from the community, not only with Unity, now with Mir, becoming an island; with canonical alone to push it, it will lag behind other desktops soon. But the core (minimal) and repositories (with ppas) are still good (for things like Steam), so a derivative that avoids unity is still good to use.
    i5-2500, Asus p8p67le, 8g ddr3, gtx460. Eeepc 701 4g surf.

vm.swappiness=0;noatime,data=writeback;deadline scheduler;preload.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast