Thread: Security software

Beans

Question Security software

Hello,
    I am new to Ubuntu. I installed Ubuntu 12.04 LTS on my Compaq laptop and left Windows 7 installed as well (until I am comfortable with Ubuntu replacing all functionality I have in Windows). In Windows I have Trend Internet Security installed for both virus and internet security which I am quite happy with.
    My question is, is there any security software available for Ubuntu? Or do I not need it? If so, how is security taken care of in Ubuntu? I could not find any commercial security software on the web for Ubuntu. Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

Re: Security software

Moved to Security Discussions
    "Our intention creates our reality. "

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf

There are no security suite available for ubuntu (or any linux). There are some anti-virus software out there for linux, can't remember any of them right now. But search this forum, and you will find some topics on this.

There are also some firewall software out there for linux.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Ubuntu has built-in security measures already in place.

However, if you want to go an extra mile, read the stickies here

http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=338

and for more go here

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Security
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

"Security Software" on Windows just attempts to protect you from viruses and malware - which basically doesn't exist on Linux.

Modern Windows security software also includes a firewall (you probably don't need one, unless you are running servers for personal use only) and alerts you to known phishing websites. Firefox and Chromium have anti-phishing built in on Linux.

Besides, Linux and Ubuntu are more carefully designed for security. There are extra security features built in. Program developers work within the security system, unlike in Windows where they don't understand and sometimes just try and get around the security features.

Short answer, unless you are doing something out of the ordinary, you don't need to add anything to Ubuntu to make it secure.
    Last edited by 3rdalbum; August 13th, 2013 at 10:59 AM.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.