Thread: Dual boot Windows 8.1 and Ubuntu issue....

Threaded View

Dual boot Windows 8.1 and Ubuntu issue....

Hey guys,

This may have been somewhat discussed before, but I've Googled the heck out of it and can't seem to find a solution.
    And sorry if this is in the wrong place...

Little background. I have a Desktop I do all my playing on. It's a P4 system with 3 HDDs. 2 x 120gb and 1 x 300gb. One 120gb drive was originally in my production system but was been moved into here some time ago when I retired that system to build a new one. That drive had WinXP on and had 3 partitions. The other 2 partitions had my games and media on. The other 120gb drive has Win Server 2003, CentOS and Ubuntu Server. The 300gb drive had a bunch of Linux Distributions and some others to fool around with.
    The XP install broke a while ago and I no longer had the disk for it, so I installed Windows Pro 2000 over it. Had no issues.

Fast-forward to a couple days ago. Since I never used Win 2000, I figured I'd install the Preview of Win 8.1 over it. Never used Win8, so figured I'd give it a try.
    Install Win 8.1, everything goes good. Reboot and Windows 8.1 loads, As expected(taking over the boot-loader).
    No prob as I planned to re-install Ubuntu(on the 300gb drive where it was). Noticed this CPU is EM64T "Capable" and wanted to see if Ubuntu 64 would install.
    Install goes good and I installed the boot-loader to the 300gb drive(As a precaution).
    Reboot and set the Boot Priority to the 300gb drive.
    Reboot and Grub2 pops up and Windows 8 (Loader) is there.\
    Select Windows 8 and BANG, PC reboots. Do it a couple more times and PC keeps rebooting.
    Stick the Plop Boot Loader CD in, Select the HDA entry, And wahla Windows 8.1 loads.
    Change Boot Priority to the Windows 8 drive, Windows loads.
    Change it back to the 300gb drive, Boot Ubuntu and run
    sudo grub-install /dev/sda
    Reboot, change boot priority to the Windows drive. I get greeted with Grub2 and the Windows 8.1 (loader) entry is there.
    Select Windows 8 and Reboot..... Again and Again.
    Put in the Plop Boot Loader CD, make the selection, and Windows 8 boots....WTH

Grub2 just won't chainload....
    I'm stumped.

SDA = Windows 8 drive.
    SDB = 300gb drive.
    SDC = 120gb drive with Server installs.
    Last edited by slug712; August 12th, 2013 at 08:28 PM.