Thread: Another Linux OS drive is in Display

Beans

Another Linux OS drive is in Display

Hi,

I installed Windows 8 alongside of Ubuntu 13.04, After successful install I found Another Partition is displayed.
    Previous My Hard disk Partitioned in 4. One Is Dell Utility, Second One is Linux OS, third one is Linux Data Drive and Fourth one is for Windows 8.

After installing Windows 8 the Linux OS partition is in display, Please see the screenshot so that you can understand my query better.

My question is How to hide this drive?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Another Linux OS drive is in Display

I would think that if it's an ext4 formatted partition Windows 7 wouldn't even show it as an accessible drive letter so i'm curious why it's even showing up.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

I do not see what you are trying to figure out from your question, nor can I tell which partition is which, or if you actually have two physical disks or just one divided into partitions.

As Gilad_Pellaeon says, windows can not see what linux partitions are; they are usually just described as unknown, healthy partitions in windows disk management utility. It will be much more helpful to see a screenshot of gparted running from either your installed Ubuntu OS or from a live USB/DVD, as that will give a much better opportunity to really see what each partition really is.

Can we also see the output from terminal in ubuntu of the command
    Code:
    sudo parted -l

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

That looks like your Dell recovery partition. Perfectly normal. As others have said here, Windows can't recognise Linux partitions so it will never display them.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ajgreeny View Post
    I do not see what you are trying to figure out from your question, nor can I tell which partition is which, or if you actually have two physical disks or just one divided into partitions.

As Gilad_Pellaeon says, windows can not see what linux partitions are; they are usually just described as unknown, healthy partitions in windows disk management utility. It will be much more helpful to see a screenshot of gparted running from either your installed Ubuntu OS or from a live USB/DVD, as that will give a much better opportunity to really see what each partition really is.

Can we also see the output from terminal in ubuntu of the command
    Code:
    sudo parted -l
    Here is my gparted output

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdalbum View Post
    That looks like your Dell recovery partition. Perfectly normal. As others have said here, Windows can't recognise Linux partitions so it will never display them.
    Thanks, may be its Dell Utility If it is Dell Utility how to hide this drive

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

That is SDA2 = FAT32 that is showing up.
    Looks look your Recovery partition.

SDA1 appears to be dell utility and SDA4 your Windows install.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

Your Windows screenshot is only showing sda2 and sda4. It's not showing sda1 because that's probably not mounted, and it won't show the Linux partition because it can't read Linux filesystems. There does not appear to be anything wrong -- you're misinterpreting the display.
    Ubuntu 20.04, Mint 19.10; MS Win10 Pro.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.