Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VMware won't open. "Kernel headers 3.5.0-27-generic" cannot found & "c header files".

Beans

VMware won't open. "Kernel headers 3.5.0-27-generic" cannot found & "c header files".

Hey all,

Im hoping someone can help me as Ive tried several different things to get this working and having no luck.

I have managed to install VMware which wouldnt work first time without the command: sudo rmmod kvm-intel - Unsure why that happened but managed to bypass it.

Now when trying to open vmware I get a box which says "Before you can run VMware player, several modules must be compiled and loaded into the running kernel" then "Kernel headers for version 3.5.0-37-generic were not found. If you installed them in a non-default path you can specify the path below". Ive tried linking the location path to /usr/src/linux-headers-3.5.0-37-generic and /lib/modules/3.5.0-37-generic but each time I get the error message "C header files matching your running kernel were not found".

Ive also tried the following commands after a bit of research but still doesnt work.

sudo ln -sf /usr/src/linux-headers-3.5.0-37-generic/include/generated/uapi/linux/version.h /usr/src/linux-headers-3.5.0-37-generic/include/linux/version.h

sudo ln -s /lib/modules/3.5.0-37-generic/build/include/generated/utsrelease.h /lib/modules/3.5.0-37-generic/build/include/linux/utsrelease.h

sudo ln -s /lib/modules/3.5.0-37-generic/build/include/generated/autoconf.h /lib/modules/3.5.0-37-generic/build/include/linux/autoconf.h

Can anybody point me in the right direction?

Regards
    Jamie

Beans

Re: VMware won't open. "Kernel headers 3.5.0-27-generic" cannot found & "c header fil

Have you installed the kernel-headers package and build-essential?

https://communities.vmware.com/threa...art=0&tstart=0

Beans

Re: VMware won't open. "Kernel headers 3.5.0-27-generic" cannot found & "c header fil

With the command:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install linux-headers-3.5.0-37-generic build-essential
    I get the following:
    Code:
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree       
    Reading state information... Done
    build-essential is already the newest version.
    linux-headers-3.5.0-37-generic is already the newest version.
    0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
    Still no luck.

Jamie

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Is it the latest version of vmware?

Beans

Yes

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Which VMware product is this, Workstation or Player?

Can you tell us what version of Ubuntu you are using and what version of VMware please.
    Cheesemill

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesemill View Post
    Which VMware product is this, Workstation or Player?

Can you tell us what version of Ubuntu you are using and what version of VMware please.
    VMware Player. Ubuntu 12.04LTS. VMware-Player-2.5.5-328052.x86_64. Just noticed I messed up the title of this thread. Apologies for that, was half asleep at the time!

Jamie

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Thread moved to Virtualisation.

You're trying to use an ancient version of VMware Player, latest is 5.0.2.

Download it from here and just run the .bundle file, it should install without any issues.

https://my.vmware.com/web/vmware/fre...are_player/5_0

Edit - You'll probably need to uninstall your current version first.
    Last edited by Cheesemill; August 12th, 2013 at 05:31 PM.
    Cheesemill

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesemill View Post
    Thread moved to Virtualisation.

You're trying to use an ancient version of VMware Player, latest is 5.0.2.

Download it from here and just run the .bundle file, it should install without any issues.

https://my.vmware.com/web/vmware/fre...are_player/5_0

Edit - You'll probably need to uninstall your current version first.
    Ha, thank you! Not sure how I managed that! But, I'm sorry to say I'm still getting the same message when trying to launch after installation. Any ideas? Thanks for your time and patience by the way.

EDIT: It is this time asking for "3.5.0-37-generic".

Jamie
    Last edited by jdawson192; August 12th, 2013 at 06:23 PM.

Beans

Sorry to bump, but has anyone got any ideas?

Jamie

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast