Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why Should I Use Ubuntu?

prodigy_ is offline May the Ubuntu Be With You!
    Beans

Re: Why Should I Use Ubuntu?

Quote Originally Posted by Gnawnsense View Post
    Apple is incredibly easy to use and user friendly
    Pretty much everything touched by Apple is inconvenient and counter-intuitive at every step. Especially iOS.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Adding a program icon to the desktop is not a "basic thing" in the Unity desktop - on purpose. Unity loosely enforces its design decisions, so there's no right-click option for adding a program icon to the desktop. Programs should be in the Launcher, not scattered over the desktop forcing you to minimise all programs to launch a new program.

That's not to say it's hard to do, though. If you go to the /usr/share/applications folder, you can drag a program launcher to your desktop. You can create new program launchers using the Main Menu program.

Ubuntu is easy to use, but it is so different. Once you learn the differences you will be fine.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by prodigy_ View Post
    Pretty much everything touched by Apple is inconvenient and counter-intuitive at every step. Especially iOS.
    That's going to be an entirely subjective opinion, my friend. While you and I might agree on that point 100%, there's a legion of die-hards out there that swear by the design philosphy behind any Apple product, and they can't really be wrong; different design philosphies appeal more to others. What is intuitive for one individual might not be for another, and more than likely that's going to be based off their background and previous experiences.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by prodigy_ View Post
    Bull Feathers...would you please stop discouraging people from using unity (and ubuntu)....and i used a mac for a year before discovering linux....it was a JOY to use....and so is ubuntu with unity...
    and it does NOT take long to get use to at all...

It works like a shortcuts taskbar...so instead of spreading shortcuts all over the desktop as you would on windows, you simply line them up neatly in the unity dock....real hard for you perhaps, prodigy but simple enough for most people, including the newbie who posted this thread, i am sure...

And if ultimately he decides he prefers a more conventional desktop, he can always give xubuntu/lubuntu or kubuntu a try...but he may well decide (like many of us) that ubuntu with the unity desktop, is easy, intuitive and even kind of FUN to use...
    Last edited by craig10x; August 12th, 2013 at 06:04 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Granted the last time I touched any apple product it was osx 10.x or something of the nature but back then it really felt like a stripped and locked down version of xubuntu. Honestly though as far as terminal use goes osx and linux are nearly identical (except linux doesn't restrict you and treat you like a retarded monkey. no offense meant to any retarded monkeys of the world lol). As to why use Ubuntu (or any linux for that matter) you will be in complete control of your computer. You tell the OS to delete something and if it don't then you tell it you really want it gone with sudo and 99% of the time it will go away for example (please don't delete stuff from outside of your home directory you system may not like you anymore). Its one of the very few OS's that you can tweak everything on, just edit a config file (careful doing that). Its inherently secure. Its an adventure when you do mess it up. Its a challenge at times. You can replace dropbox fairly easy by setting up ftp over ssh, then you will have all your files no matter where you are. And the best part is people won't ask to use your computer much
    zealibib slaughter is a dwarven paladin of ill temperment played by a fat man of jolly temperment.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

It seems that you have the right attitude and desire to learn so let me make a comment! If you will spend 1 month with a good linux disto, into the second month you will
    be answering a lot of these questions, it takes a little time but it is well worth it,
    When you need a certain piece of software there are many different ways to get in linux "apt-get install software" "apitude install software" "synaptic" is a graphical
    install, along with ubuntu software center. If you don't like any of that, google "software.deb" double click and tell it to install,
    If you don't like the unity desktop, get one that you do like, kde operates just like windows as far as adding icons to the desktop, target a program, right click, send to desktop.

After that 1 month tryout you will never go back to update this, update that, virus checkers, malware checkers, blue screens, etc

prodigy_ is offline May the Ubuntu Be With You!
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Gnawnsense View Post
    there's a legion of die-hards out there that swear by the design philosphy behind any Apple product, and they can't really be wrong; different design philosphies appeal more to others.
    You voiced your opinion and I voiced mine, nothing more. :) As a system administrator I had to deal with MacOS even before it was UNIX-based so I have quite some experience with Apple products both historical and current. And my opinion is that they all suck. Everything good that OS X has is UNIX which it's based upon, everything that Apple has added is garbage.

On topic: I can't think of any reason why someone should continue to use OS or distro they don't like. Personally I don't like Ubuntu and I don't use it.
    Last edited by prodigy_; August 12th, 2013 at 12:09 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

The first major "shock' that folks new to Ubuntu experience is how different it is to do things in the Linux world than it was in the MS Windows or Mac worlds. I know it's trite to say it -- but when we say "Linux is not Windows", we don't mean that Linux is free and Windows is not; instead, we mean that the desktop experience, the application experience, and the settings experience are all different.

Come over to Linux is a lot like learning to use a Windows PC for the first time -- some stuff is intuitive, some is challenging, and some is very difficult.

Lots of folks don't like the Unity desktop in Ubuntu -- I'm one of them. That's solved primarily by loading a different desktop -- an option you don't have as easily in MS Windows.

For a more Windows-like experience, you should consider Mint (which still uses a desktop like the old Gnome version) or PCLinux OS. Those look a lot more like MS Windows (prior to Win8) and, at least with Mint, come with a lot of the restricted stuff already in place.

But ... my advice to folks is always the same -- use what works best for you. With Linux distros, you have the freedom to try out and/or install different distros basically for free. All you have to invest is some disk space and your time.
    Ubuntu 16.10 Mate, Mint 18 Mate; MS Win 8.1, MS Win10 Pro.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

The question gets asked regularly so i have moved it to 'recurring discussions'.
    If you believe everything you read, you better not read. ~ Japanese Proverb

If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed. - Mark Twain

Thinking about becoming an Ubuntu Member?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I remeber when i got my first ever Windows PC.

I was so unsure how to use it, for the first two weeks or so it was never on for more than 1/2 an hour.

My point is that it wasn't not user friendly, it was just hugely unfamilar. I did not know how to use it.

Are you sure you're not suffering from this ?

I picked up the various Linux desktops much quicker than i did Windows.

The time consuming thing about Linux is learning the terminal, a job not required for almost all tasks on a fully featured desktop.
    If you believe everything you read, you better not read. ~ Japanese Proverb

If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed. - Mark Twain

Thinking about becoming an Ubuntu Member?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast