Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why Should I Use Ubuntu?

Beans

Why Should I Use Ubuntu?

Ok, this is a legitimate question I'm asking, hopefully to help me get a better insight into Ubuntu and how it can help me. Obviously, I'm brand new to the software, and have spent most of my life using Windows or Mac, so using this program comes kind of as a shock to me and my habits.

My major question is why should I continue using this (relatively) complicated software? The main reasons I'm supporting it is because I like the idea of free software to the masses. Besides that though, I don't find much pleasure in it, besides kind of feeling like a wannabe hacker when I have to manually type in commands. I'm finding Ubuntu to be incredibly difficult, not user friendly at all, and its forcing me to spend precious time learning how to do basic things...like create shortcuts on my desktop. I'm trying to convince myself that its worth it, but I'm losing reasons why. After all, I can easily jump on a much more user friendly OS, and pirate software that is much more advanced and less restrictive than a lot of the free software offered here. Same price tag, less headaches. I don't really find manually doing things that another OS can do automatically to be really liberating, but I feel as if I'm missing something here that others are seeing.

Whats your guys take on this topic? Help shed some light on my ignorance...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Why Should I Use Ubuntu?

Use it because you want to if you aren't required to use it.

Being relatively new to the *NIX world, I find Ubuntu as straight-forward as Windows and Mac OSX. I actually had a harder time migrating from Windows to Mac OSX than from Windows to Ubuntu. I suppose it's just how well you adapt to the changes of the system, and a lot of it is going to be personal preference.

While most support threads will put you in the direction of the terminal, most day-to-day tasks can be achieved using the GUI. The terminal is honestly just a lot more effecient once you get the hang of it, and in my experience, I usually get through an installation much faster than using the Software Center.

I switched to Ubuntu (Gnome) because it performs much better on my system than Windows 8 was. I also enjoy the direct control over the system I have, though I honestly opt not to exercise it much as a relative newbie, but if I have to, I can. I enjoy the stability of my system and not having to run a protection suite on my machine. I enjoy the fact that I also get to experience and be a little bit more in-tune with the development process here.

But really, the key thing for me, is the community. As corny as that sounds, I enjoy the Ubuntu community and the other relative communities scattered around that you can become a part of as a result. I've gained more knowledge and insight to my machine in my brief time with Ubuntu and the community than I have in years as an every-day Windows user.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

The problem isn't Ubuntu, in a way it's your mindset. Remember all things have a learning curve. It's just Windows is a bit less steep as they hide things from you and gives restrictions. Ubuntu and Linux in general has a steeper climb to it, but once you figure out the basics, it isn't that hard. Most of the issues Linux has is from manufactures who refuse to support Linux fully due to the vice grip of Microsoft giving rise to many bugs, most of which have been sorted out in recent years. Image for a moment things were a little backwards and you spent your whole life on Linux and you went over to Windows? Would you think it would be easy as is now? Trying to figure out how to change themes, installing drivers, using the awkward file browser. it would be just as hard, as is the switch from Windows to Linux. When comparing the two, some things are easier while some things are harder. It depends on how determined you are to move on and learn new things. Set the right mindset!
    Last edited by SweetAurora; August 12th, 2013 at 02:07 AM. Reason: typos
    You are such a sweetheart b-b-baby!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

try another DE (desktop environment)
    this is the Linux world where the possibilities are endless and you are not limited with what you can do (given the time and knowledge)

if you are familiar with macs install docky or cario-dock
    you can set your unity dock to auto hide and set a long delay to get rid if it

you can always use linux mint (based on ubuntu) should feel like windows

if you like to customize everything try xubuntu, it is very flexible

If you like advanced feature avoid gnome3 they are striping everything out in the same of simplification
    Laptop: ASUS A54C-NB91 (Storage: WD3200BEKT + MKNSSDCR60GB-DX); Desktop: Custom Build - Images included; rPi Server
    Putting your Networked Printer's scanner software to shame PHP Scanner Server
    I frequently edit my post when I have the last post

Beans

Thanks for the polite responses guys...I'ma definitely give Ubuntu some time to grow on me, I don't like to quit anything midway. I'll agree, it does run smoother on my computer than windows did. I'll never return to windows actually, they're like the Stalin of operating systems from my experience. I guess now the issue will be learning all the tricks to make Ubuntu as user friendly for me as macs are. The way I see it, the world is only getting more computer heavy, so I'd rather figure out how my machine works more than just have its features force fed to me. It does get pretty annoying to have to learn things on the fly though when you're working on a time sensitive project or want to be done so you can go outside and play but...it all comes with the package I suppose. This forum will probably help me get where I need to go though.

By the way, I'm not sure if this is a dumb question or not, but is there anything Linux related for phones?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Andoid phones use a modified linux kernel with google UI added. There is also a form of ubuntu that will run on some phones IIRC.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Unity is really pretty easy to use...it's really just a dock, like the mac has, except it's on the left instead of the bottom
    In the system settings, you can auto hide it so it just pops out when needed, set the sensitivity of the auto hide and even make the icons smaller if you wish (i set mine to 38 pixels)
    Then put your favorite applications and most frequently used ones on the dock for quick (1 click access) and the rest you can bring up in the "dash search"....and should you prefer a lighter
    overall them for the panel and windows, choose radiance in the system settings too (my favorite)...

That's pretty easy...isn't it?

I rarely use the terminal myself and i have been using linux for over 4 years now...After coming from windows, i have found ubuntu easier to use, actually...
    most things can be done by gui instead of terminal...
    Last edited by craig10x; August 12th, 2013 at 03:16 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by MPeezy View Post
    I guess now the issue will be learning all the tricks to make Ubuntu as user friendly for me as macs are. The way I see it, the world is only getting more computer heavy, so I'd rather figure out how my machine works more than just have its features force fed to me. It does get pretty annoying to have to learn things on the fly though when you're working on a time sensitive project or want to be done so you can go outside and play but...it all comes with the package I suppose. This forum will probably help me get where I need to go though.

By the way, I'm not sure if this is a dumb question or not, but is there anything Linux related for phones?
    Well, that's really the sacrifice you make. Apple is incredibly easy to use and user friendly, but that's due in part to their extremely strict Human Interface Guidelines in regards to application and interface design, and the fact that their entire ecosystem is a walled garden.

With Ubuntu, you're just never going to have the straight out-of-the-box experience you have with a Mac OSX machine, and that's in part to the lack of a walled garden ecosystem where Ubuntu is in full and complete control of what every element included in the system. Mac OSX is just extremely restricted to the user, and that works quite well for a lot of people, definitely preference.

If you're looking for an experience more similar to Mac in terms of general system usability and interface design, check out elementary. Absolutely beautiful, fast, and easy to use. But it is based on Ubuntu 12.04, and as a *NIX system, you're still going to have the same experience with the terminal and hardware. However, the system itself is much easier to navigate on elementary if you're wanting a system that restricts the user a little more.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I also think sometimes if you weren't a person like me who grew up using MS-DOS and the whole CLI system and learning DOS commands by heart so i'd remember them off the top of my head then you're likely to be more afraid of the command line and thus the terminal when needed to use it. Recently installed Lubuntu 13.04 as my primary OS and I've only had to use the terminal maybe 5 or 6 times if that just to install some stuff I was too lazy to find and do that way via the synaptic package manager.

It was mostly some programs I didn't see in the Lubuntu Software Center such as Truecrypt for example. http://www.truecrypt.org/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf

Using Windows you can get cracked versions of expensive software but they probably install malware. So when your bank balance disappears one day that free software would become quite expensive.
    Since I started using Ubuntu I have had no need for any hacked or cracked software.
    I can run XP pro in a virtual machine using VirtualBox for the occasional program that needs Windows, which these days is hardly ever.
    Also with the latest news of NSA snooping I just don't trust Microsoft, I stopped using Skype the moment they bought it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast